P1858

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: P1858

#11 Post by channel12 »

MrD wrote:Well Dromia, time must pass really slowly in Ross-shire. I picked up the rifle today - got variation back in 3 working days.

It has British proof marks on the top of the breech and came with a PH leaflet and embroidered 1858 Enfield Rifle patch. I was told that it was the last of a batch bought in by the shop in 1987. Its serial no is 7370. It's brand new and cost me less than 2/3 of the price of a new one from Kranks. I think I'm a very happy bunny lollol
It being a PH made rifle it will have Birmingham proof marks which incorporate a two letter date code for the year of proof. There a couple of online pages on dating Birmingham proofmarks and there's a video lecture by Ian McCollom on the subject.
MrD

Re: P1858

#12 Post by MrD »

channel12 wrote:
It being a PH made rifle it will have Birmingham proof marks which incorporate a two letter date code for the year of proof. There a couple of online pages on dating Birmingham proofmarks and there's a video lecture by Ian McCollom on the subject.
Many thanks for that. I have checked the proof marks and it has the code letters for 1986

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/