Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

#21 Post by dromia »

You need a decent extraction system for smokeless as well.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#22 Post by Dark Skies »

dromia wrote:I find Pyrodex as smokey as BP and very tickly on the throat.

I suggest that you find a less bigoted club or get them to install a decent extraction system which the should have anyway.
That's easier said than done in my part of Oxfordshire. I'm not sure what the current extraction system is but they seem fine with 777 so it must be reasonably good. Were that I could get them to invest in a better system to indulge me and maybe one or two others That's unlikely. I knew that Pyrodex sounded too good to be true for my needs. :)
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#23 Post by dromia »

Our clubs policy is that we support the shooting of anything that is, safe, legal, and with in the constraints of the range certificate and safety procedures. The club will do whatever it can to help shooters shoot what they want regardless of the numbers interested.

We feel the more types of guns that get used on our range the better and more interesting it is for our members, we actively discourage "discipline" snobbery.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

MistAgain

#24 Post by MistAgain »

Sadly the disipline snobbery is alive and kicking in more than a few clubs these days .
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#25 Post by redcat »

MistAgain wrote:Sadly the disipline snobbery is alive and kicking in more than a few clubs these days .
Ain't that the truth! wallhead

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Dark Skies

#26 Post by Dark Skies »

It transpires that the problem doesn't lie with the extraction system after all. Apparently Pyrodex and black powder aren't permitted because the floor is covered with a rubber sound-proofing material and the smouldering powder landing on the floor after each shot could prove problematic.
dromia
Site Admin

#27 Post by dromia »

Well that should be easy enough to cover with ply.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Dark Skies

#28 Post by Dark Skies »

dromia wrote:Well that should be easy enough to cover with ply.
I already envisage the reply that it would then remove the sound deadening effect - that and the cost for the benefit for just a few members.
The noise / ballistics for my factory Cowboy Action .357 magnum rounds put through an under-lever have already created a bit of a hoohah requiring me to shoot reduced reloads.

I seriously miss the Dunmore Shooting Club range - fmj magnum rounds via a pistol or rifle were never an issue.
Having said that it is a nice little club - we just don't have the facilities or the money to go the extra distance.
dromia
Site Admin

#29 Post by dromia »

It looks more like a lack of imagination and will rather than money and facilities.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#30 Post by nunhead »

This powder is eligible for the "new" courses of fire becoming available, whereas the "official" MLAGB only allows Blck Powder..

We (South London Rifle Club and the Surrey Branch of the MLAGB) have included this sort of firearm in our OPEN MEETINGS FOR REPEATING PISTOLS at Bisley.
The next one (SLRC) is the middle weekend of the Imperial Meeting (alongside NRA ML and GR matches) - 15th & 16th JULY -- and scorecards are £5.
Classes for STANDARD PERCUSSION REVOLVER (i.e., El Cheapos + originals) one and two-handed , PERCUSSION TARGET REVOLVER (i.e., "Standard" + the costly specials + Rugers) one-handed only; FREE PERCUSSION (more or less anything except using laser sights!) and then MODERN MUZZLE-LOADER -- with sub-classes for "Patriot", nitro conversions of percussion revolvers and the "Alfa" etc. -- again, one and two-handed matches.

Courses of fire are all 20 shots (4 x 5) plus optional sighters:-
SLOWFIRE -- 3 minutes / series; TIMEDFIRE -- 1 munute/series; RAPIDFIRE -- 30s/series;
"BOBBER" (turning targets -- 5s faced, 10s edged) and "SURRENDEN" (against the clock).

Details etc from slrc (at) jimhallam (dot) eu

The Surrey Branch MLAGB Meeting is 10th September -- same format ---
surreybranch (at) jimhallam (dot) eu
or download from the Surrey Branch MLAGB website.