Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Hodgson 777 shooters - advice please

#11 Post by WelshShooter »

As Sim has pointed out, with blackpowder substitutes you need to charge them based on blackpowder volume, not mass. I used one of the below measures to charge my cylinders. My go to load was between 23-25gr of Pyrodex P which shot great when I benched, not so much free standing (cause I really wasn't that good!!). Link to load data:
https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloadi ... CKBOX_1=on

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Take heed of what Simon has said, 777 charges should be as the Hodgdon data, there is no maximum or minimum loads for 44 cap and ball revolvers only two loads are deemed safe 20 and 25 gns with a column consisting of an ox-yoke wad 777 and ball. Anything other than that and you are on your own.

Do not read the Hodgdon data for tripple 7 as maximum and minimum 20 gnd by volume and 25 gns by volume with an ox-yoke wads are the only safe data recommended by Hodgdon.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ben Denise

#13 Post by Ben Denise »

Adam, please indulge a newbie as I am still struggling to get my head around this. If a 20gn and 25gn charge are safe, why is a charge between 20gn and 25gn not safe?? Confused.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#14 Post by dromia »

Only Hodgdon can tell you that but that is what they recommend so they obviously have found problems with the loads in between. Assuming they have done those loadings.

Tripple seven is designed for modern muzzle loaders that are basically nitro guns, just look at their data. Probably they did the cap and ball loads as an afterthought as people would be using it for that anyway.

Tripple 7 is like all substitutes neither fish nor fowl. With all the negatives and none of the positives (other than you don't need an explosives licence not that that is much of a positive really) that compromise brings.

I suspect it has to do with its compression sensitivity and height of the load column so that only certain combinations are reliable. But I am only speculating from the experiences I have had with the stuff in my guns with Hodgdons data, personally I wouldn't put the stuff anywhere near any of my guns.

Remember when reading data you have to go by what they say not what you think they say.

Go beyond any powder manufacturers data and you are on your own.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ben Denise

#15 Post by Ben Denise »

I appreciate the advice Adam, looks like I need to buy a volume powder thrower. :)
dromia
Site Admin

#16 Post by dromia »

They are as essential for muzzle loading as a good set of scales are to smokeless handloading.

At a lot less cost.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#17 Post by Dark Skies »

As this thread is a few months old but broadly addresses my own interests - same gun, same calibre (soon to purchase) and the issue of powders I thought I'd resurrect it.

I've nothing against getting a black powder license and requisite wooden box, however, using it within our indoor range is a non-starter, I simply won't be allowed to use it due to the smoke. I've been told Triple 7 substitute is fine though.

However, whilst researching how to make it go bang I've come across Pyrodex pellets which seem to have all the hard work taken out of loading in that they are the requisite volume in handy tubular pellets that I drop into the cylinder, stick a pad on top, pop a ball on the ensemble and ram home. Faster and easier. Love it.

However, my question is how smoky is this stuff?
Is it comparable to Triple 7 in terms of smoke levels?
Akin to black powder smokiness?
Or less than either?

Cheers in advance.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dromia
Site Admin

#18 Post by dromia »

I find Pyrodex as smokey as BP and very tickly on the throat.

I suggest that you find a less bigoted club or get them to install a decent extraction system which the should have anyway.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

dromia
Site Admin

#19 Post by dromia »

Regarding the pellets you are restricted to the one load with them which as I recall is 30 gns which may or may not be the "load" for your gun.

Also some chambers can be tapered and or recessed so you need to know that the pellets will fit your particular gun.

They are also a bit harder to ignite so could need magnum percussion caps.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#20 Post by WelshShooter »

When I used Hodgdon Pyrodex P in my .44 I found it to be as smokey as regular black powder. As dromia has suggested, perhaps the club should invest in a decent extraction system? At my local indoor range it was essential to use this for black powder and black powder substitutes.