Flintlock Pistols -Talk to me!

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Flintlock Pistols -Talk to me!

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

dromia wrote:You need to decide on rifled or smooth bore.
Presumably rifled is more expensive but more accurate? I must admit, I prefer the cleaning ease of smoothbore and would be willing to lose some accuracy to keep the maintenance down. Its unlikely the gun would ever be fired at more than 20m regularly.
saddler wrote:...has your lass been making you dress up as Zorro now, or has her Pirates of the Caribbean fetish got out of hand??
She still loves the pirate action. One-eyed Willie being her favourite of course!
DVC
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#12 Post by FredB »

MLAGB flint competitions are exclusively for smoothbores----I don't know why, since original rifled flinters do exist. For best accuracy you need a big charge---most shooters start with 30 grn of Swiss no1. If you are recoil sensitive, forget it.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

Blackstuff wrote:
dromia wrote:You need to decide on rifled or smooth bore.
Presumably rifled is more expensive but more accurate? I must admit, I prefer the cleaning ease of smoothbore and would be willing to lose some accuracy to keep the maintenance down. Its unlikely the gun would ever be fired at more than 20m regularly.
Not at all, smooth bore can shoot quiet accurately at pistol distances out to 25 yards or so, they may require a bit more work to get there than a rifled one, also as Fred says smoothbores do respond to stout charges for accuracy.

If you do aspire to hitting the target occasionally with these guns and their rudimentary shotgun type sights then short barrels are not a good idea as a bit of longer sight radius helps a lot.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Blackstuff »

Thanks for the info :good:

If I'm going down this route though I definitely want something 'small' (not one of those pocket pistol monstrosities that look like they were made in a gulag though!)
DVC
legs748
Home club or Range: Mattersey R&PC

#15 Post by legs748 »

dromia wrote:
The Indian copies are usually pretty good, the lock time in mine is like sh!te off a shovel, really impressively fast.

Does the same go for the Indian musket repros or is it a bit hit and miss? Always fancy a Brown Bess but the £1k price tag for a Pedersoli means I just have to carry on just fancying.
It was working when i left it...........
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

#16 Post by Meaty »

I quite fancy a Pedersoli bounty.http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tipolog ... ounty.html
Nearly brought one in Kranks a few years back but the need for a new car exhaust got in the way of that!
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#17 Post by Hrun »

legs748 wrote:
dromia wrote:
The Indian copies are usually pretty good, the lock time in mine is like sh!te off a shovel, really impressively fast.

Does the same go for the Indian musket repros or is it a bit hit and miss? Always fancy a Brown Bess but the £1k price tag for a Pedersoli means I just have to carry on just fancying.
I paid £80 for mine (the rust was free) I have hit a target at 50, but the sights are very rough and I need to hold under the target to be on. It is however percussion rather than flint.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

legs748 wrote:
dromia wrote:

Well, all Indian means is that it came from the sub continent, a pretty large area. Within the country there are all sorts of gun makers. Some good, some bad and some down right dangerous. I always look for Indian proof marks rather than the meaningless UK marks, as they have some of the strictest inspection regimes in the world and are good indication of quality. Most of the stuff I've seen in Krankies seems decent quality recently, except for the Matchlocks I've seen, their doglocks look particularly good though. Some of the Indian stuff I've seen those wannabe re-enactors I wouldn't even put a blank down them. As to accuracy of looks, well it is just like fit and condition you need to have a good look and make your own mind up. The wood can be particularly interesting, I've stripped my Dragoon holster pistol back and it has a very striking two tone effect to the wood underneath which I suspect isn't walnut. ;)

Definitely worth considering buying an Indian made gun but not something I would do sight unseen.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/