Ed's Red, what could go wrong..

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Ed's Red, what could go wrong..

#11 Post by Daryll »

I got my U/S cleaner for brass, but I did think about putting my LBR cylinder in to clean... but that is stainless, so no blueing to worry about...
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#12 Post by WelshShooter »

You could always dry pouring boiling water from a kettle over and leave the pistol steam dry. I used to do this followed by a pat dry after a couple of minutes. Never had any rust issues.

PS - don't forget to remove the grips!
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

water and boiling hot oil, no thanks
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
WelshShooter

#14 Post by WelshShooter »

bradaz11 wrote:water and boiling hot oil, no thanks
I think you have it the other way around. It's worse to mix water with boiling oil, as opposed to adding boiling water to cool oil.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

Edds red contains acetone I would not recomend using it in a sonic bath.
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#16 Post by Hrun »

OK, this is a useful thread.

Good call about the Acetone, seems this could lead to the demise of my Man Cave.

With regards to the Bluing, it seems that the Ultrasonic should not be an issue and Lyman's have confirmed that elsewhere. There are reports of bluing being damaged, but this looks to be more to do with the liquid used.

I am mindful to try the Cleaner with just Dextron II ATF, and then use the Ed's red to wipe it down afterwards.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

WelshShooter wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:water and boiling hot oil, no thanks
I think you have it the other way around. It's worse to mix water with boiling oil, as opposed to adding boiling water to cool oil.
hey Welshie, wasn't commenting on your post, seems you snuck in your post at the same time as me... this is what I was responding to
Hrun wrote: I did water once when I first got it, never again, it was a nightmare trying to stop it rusting for the next two weeks.

I have a good cleaning regime, but the cylinder is a pain to get clean and I like the idea of an occational deep clean.

My local gunsmith has a ultrasonic cleaner, but uses water and then drops it in a chip fryer with hot oil to push out the water. Did a nice job of my cylinder when I first got it and we could not get the nips out, but I would prefer to do it in one pass and avoid the water.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
WelshShooter

#18 Post by WelshShooter »

bradaz11 wrote: hey Welshie, wasn't commenting on your post, seems you snuck in your post at the same time as me...

Now don't I look the fool bradaz lol I retract my statement!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#19 Post by dromia »

Hrun wrote:
dromia wrote:What is wrong with your gun that it needs ultrasonic cleaning?

For BP fouling all that is needed is tap water, it doesn't want to be hot either.

BP fouling is easily removed with water.
I did water once when I first got it, never again, it was a nightmare trying to stop it rusting for the next two weeks.

I have a good cleaning regime, but the cylinder is a pain to get clean and I like the idea of an occational deep clean.

My local gunsmith has a ultrasonic cleaner, but uses water and then drops it in a chip fryer with hot oil to push out the water. Did a nice job of my cylinder when I first got it and we could not get the nips out, but I would prefer to do it in one pass and avoid the water.
That is how I clean my BPs and never have a rust issue, you obviously need to dry them afterwards, a good spray/flush with a water displacing fluid, (I use Pocket Rocket loads cheaper than WD40, FredB put me onto it) is all I do and it is good to go.

Using boiling water isn't good as it can give flash rusting.

Mixing some Youngs 303 with the water will also stop rusting.

Simple is best, my BP guns are rust and fouling free with water, Youngs 303 and water displacing fluid.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#20 Post by channel12 »

dromia wrote:What is wrong with your gun that it needs ultrasonic cleaning?

For BP fouling all that is needed is tap water, it doesn't want to be hot either.

BP fouling is easily removed with water.
I fully agree with that, warm water with a little washing up liquid does the job. Nipples removed from cylinder every time a nd only finger tight when replaced. Everything thoroughly dried and a Young's 303 applied to gun inside and out, no rusting.

How do you thing black power revolvers were cleaned and maintained in the 1860's ? No fancy solvents or ultra sonic baths then.