Ed's Red, what could go wrong..

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Ed's Red, what could go wrong..

#21 Post by dodgyrog »

I found tepid water (for me not the gun really) and Carex hand cleaner did a splendid job of cleaning my BP revolver
I stripped it and put through the dishwasher once but it didn't like that very much!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#22 Post by FredB »

I used to use the ultrasonic until my wife got a small household steam cleaner. The jet of steam clears all the crud out of the action: the parts are left hot so they dry quickly. You then just need to re-oil the gun, including a couple of patches through the barrel.
Fred
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#23 Post by Hrun »

FredB wrote:I used to use the ultrasonic until my wife got a small household steam cleaner. The jet of steam clears all the crud out of the action: the parts are left hot so they dry quickly. You then just need to re-oil the gun, including a couple of patches through the barrel.
Fred
What did you use in the Ultrasonic?
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#24 Post by Hrun »

Just to update the thread..

I shot the revolver today, the first time for a couple of months.

When I got home I stripped it and there was evidence of rust in the inner works.

I put ATF in the Ultrasonic cleaner, heated it to 60 deg and cleaned parts for 20 mins.

First impressions are good.. everything came out sparkles, including the bits that looked rusty. I wiped everything over with my eds red and time will tell.

Incidently, with the cleaner set to 60 deg, I failed to notice the cleaner rose to 80 in use.. note to self.. do not pick up a gun part that has been in 80 deg oil, it is fekkin hot :-)