Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

#1 Post by jack1 »

Hi

Not sure whether this comes under the muzzle loading or handgun section.I have been looking at the Alpha revolver now it seems in stainless from Valmont

Before I spend 1200 of my pounds (plus) I would like to know if there are some accuracy examples or data.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

jack1
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Alpha muzzle loading revolver from Valmont

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

Wow. Price is shooting up on them! What barrel length are you thinking and what do you plan to shoot out of it?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
PrecisionGunnerUK
Home club or Range: Wakefield Rifle and Pistol Club, North Cotes Butts, Warwickshire Armourers Rifle Club

#3 Post by PrecisionGunnerUK »

Hi Jack

I'm in the probably unique position of owning both the muzzle loading and long barrel variant of the Alfa.

The muzzle loader is the standard 6" barrel version though mine came from Alan Westlake originally.
The long barrel version is the same as shown on Valmont's website at the bottom, bought second hand. It's surprisingly light for an LBR, weighs less than the equivalent Taurus. But only holds 6 rounds, the Taurus holds 7.

No you can't change the cylinder from the long barrel version onto the muzzle loading version. Someone was bound to ask ...

Internally both Alfa's are identical. Slightly fiddly to strip but easy enough once you've done it a couple of times. Doesn't need cleaning internally very often, I do mine once a year as routine maintenance. I don't get any lead build up on the forcing cone on either model.

Accuracy
Bearing in mind the LBR has a longer barrel, it will give a higher velocity and should be slightly more accurate. However, in practice there's nowt to choose between them, the shooter is the limiting factor I find. Especially in my case ;-)

Both pistols will put a 2" group at 20 yards from a rest, using iron sights. Or better. Damn my eyes.
Single action is very good on both, nice and light. Double action takes a bit of a pull but smooth enough. I don't feel the need to improve the trigger on either of them.

My loading for the long barrel version ;
105gr SWC bullet, alox lubed
3.2 to 3.6gr of Bullseye or similar fast pistol powder (both work for accuracy on the lbr, sometimes I just want a slightly bigger bang)

My loading for the muzzle loader ;
3gr of Blue Dot or Herco shotgun powder

I cast my own bullets and the Lee mould number is 90316.

Note I use the same bullet, it proved more accurate for target work at 25 yards than any other bullet I tested.

If it helps you I have a video which shows how to strip down the Alfa for cleaning : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vge4J7nbthk

If you search for "Alfa muzzle loader" on Youtube there are a good handful of videos as well.
Buy one, they're fun! That new short barrel version looks ace.

Regards
Paul M.
I love shooting, me ;-)
Correct grammer is so important
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

I winced a little every time you picked up those pliers to prise up that cover. :)
Here's something I've found works well for gently prying stuff.
Old large-ish cheese head screwdriver -> round off the tip -> introduce a mild bend low on the shaft to act as a fulcrum point -> suitable sized heat shrink over the tip to protect bluing. Simples.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
jack1
Home club or Range: Sittingbourne rifle and pistol club

#5 Post by jack1 »

PrecisionGunnerUK wrote:Hi Jack

I'm in the probably unique position of owning both the muzzle loading and long barrel variant of the Alfa.

The muzzle loader is the standard 6" barrel version though mine came from Alan Westlake originally.
The long barrel version is the same as shown on Valmont's website at the bottom, bought second hand. It's surprisingly light for an LBR, weighs less than the equivalent Taurus. But only holds 6 rounds, the Taurus holds 7.

No you can't change the cylinder from the long barrel version onto the muzzle loading version. Someone was bound to ask ...

Internally both Alfa's are identical. Slightly fiddly to strip but easy enough once you've done it a couple of times. Doesn't need cleaning internally very often, I do mine once a year as routine maintenance. I don't get any lead build up on the forcing cone on either model.

Accuracy
Bearing in mind the LBR has a longer barrel, it will give a higher velocity and should be slightly more accurate. However, in practice there's nowt to choose between them, the shooter is the limiting factor I find. Especially in my case ;-)

Both pistols will put a 2" group at 20 yards from a rest, using iron sights. Or better. Damn my eyes.
Single action is very good on both, nice and light. Double action takes a bit of a pull but smooth enough. I don't feel the need to improve the trigger on either of them.

My loading for the long barrel version ;
3.2 to 3.6gr of Bullseye or similar fast pistol powder (both work for accuracy on the lbr, sometimes I just want a slightly bigger bang)

My loading for the muzzle loader ;
3gr of Blue Dot or Herco shotgun powder

I cast my own bullets and the Lee mould number is 90316.

Note I use the same bullet, it proved more accurate for target work at 25 yards than any other bullet I tested.

If it helps you I have a video which shows how to strip down the Alfa for cleaning : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vge4J7nbthk

If you search for "Alfa muzzle loader" on Youtube there are a good handful of videos as well.
Buy one, they're fun! That new short barrel version looks ace.

Regards
Paul M.
Hi Paul
Thanks for that info I'm still wondering what to do. I suppose I have to accept after 20 years since the 'ban' "fings aint what they used to be"
Might just go with the stainless I saw on Dorset Gun Company's web site
Thanks again
Jack
JammyGuns

#6 Post by JammyGuns »

Iv'e had one (4" model) on order for about 7 or 8 months now. Contacted Alan a while back and heard that they'd been some delays with Alfa but he was getting another batch in Feb. So after the cylinders are made and fitted for each individual gun, the whole thing is then sent off for proofing - so your timing is probably better than mine! I think it'll be worth the wait though as Iv'e heard nothing but good things in regard to the accuracy. They're very fast to load (for a ML - also Valmont Firearms now sell a handy little device for loading every chamber with powder all in one go) and are probably the closest you can get to a true handgun for target shooting on the mainland.

Damn pretty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eSVrc ... freload=10
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#7 Post by HALODIN »

There's one at our club and everyone who's seen or shot it, now wants one. I think they're really good and I'm going to put in for a variation for one at some point. The speed loading device sold it to me. We just need a press that can seat all the bullets in one go... :)
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

I need one of these now. And it seems that my preference is catered for at a very reasonable £860

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/15105.html
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#9 Post by Nelly2014 »

HALODIN wrote:There's one at our club and everyone who's seen or shot it, now wants one. I think they're really good and I'm going to put in for a variation for one at some point. The speed loading device sold it to me. We just need a press that can seat all the bullets in one go... :)
It's getting better all the time. I have made a device to eject all of the used primers at once. So along with my 6x powder chargers a six-way bullet seater would speed up the reloading process greatly.
Ask for extra cylinders on your variation as well
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#10 Post by HALODIN »

How does your primer ejector work? Do you have a pic?