Pietta Colt 1851 Navy - is this normal?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Pietta Colt 1851 Navy - is this normal?

#21 Post by Sim G »

You could try solder by all means, but whether it would be hard enough remains to be seen.

Uberti have been making B/P replicas for nigh on 60 years, their versions have small updated design changes all the time. I have five Uberti revolvers nearly spanning the whole period. All have different hammers and not one like yours, but very close.....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#22 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:You could try solder by all means, but whether it would be hard enough remains to be seen.

Uberti have been making B/P replicas for nigh on 60 years, their versions have small updated design changes all the time. I have five Uberti revolvers nearly spanning the whole period. All have different hammers and not one like yours, but very close.....
If I end up filling it in I think I'll try beefing up the filling by getting a suitable sized nail, cutting off the head, shaping it to the contour of the slot and soldering in place - filing to shape. That ought to give it a hard enough core.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#23 Post by kennyc »

don't know if this is of any help
Dark Skies

#24 Post by Dark Skies »

kennyc wrote:don't know if this is of any help
That's rather clever. I approve this message. :)

I'm waiting on a kit of parts and will look into this further when I've had a play on the range,
Sim G
Past Supporter

#25 Post by Sim G »

I have used the JB Weld method and it's lasted a couple of years on the 1851 I did it to.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#26 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:I have used the JB Weld method and it's lasted a couple of years on the 1851 I did it to.
It's good stuff - I've used it quite a bit on the front indicator / side light surround mountings on Porsche 944's - the threaded brass inserts for receiving the fasteners tend to pull out over the years. JB Weld is excellent for re-sticking them in place.
It's just that seeing the stuff in an impact area just seems a bit of a fudge that I find upsetting. I'd like something more ... right.