Replacement Pietta cylinder required - what's the procedure?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Replacement Pietta cylinder required - what's the proced

#11 Post by Dark Skies »

In the end I think I'm going to go the variation route for spares and slots for more firearms. There's no immediate hurry for a replacement as I've managed to do a reasonably acceptable job of tidying up the dings and scars on the cylinder. Lots of careful work with Swiss files and grades of wet n dry followed up with a reasonable cold blue finish that nicely transitions from the heat treated finish of the hammer and frame, through to the cylinder, to the factory blued barrel. First two pics are before the scars were removed, second two are after the work was done. Each and every stop had the same scar and witness line - as well as hammer dents on the rear (for some reason).

I'm almost tempted to strip the barrel of factory blue and then use the cold blue ... I kind of like the aged / worn look that gives it a vintage Colt look. It's only the good quality of the barrel's finish that has stayed my hand thus far.

I'm planning on experimenting with a hot bluing home brew process I've found online at some point.

"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."