Replacement Pietta cylinder required - what's the procedure?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Replacement Pietta cylinder required - what's the procedure?

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

The cylinder on one of my revolvers is quite beat up cosmetically - it seems something lodged between it and the frame at some point and scoured the frame, leaving a raised nick of metal which then scoured the cylinder quite noticeably. There are other dings and surface imperfections elsewhere too. I'm hoping I can file / polish and re-blue to an acceptable standard ...

... BUT....

If I can't reclaim the cylinder to a cosmetically satisfactory condition what is the legal procedure for getting a replacement?
I do not have a variation for a spare cylinder.
Is it possible to order the part (Henry Krank stock it) via my local RFD, have them remove the cylinder, retain my old cylinder for destruction or whatever happens to such parts, and I walk out the shop with the shiny new part on my pistol?
Or is this something that has to be done via a gunsmith as a repair?

I've looked into this locally and my RFD didn't know. Gunsmiths appear thin on the ground in my area - so it looks like if I had to go this route it'd have to go via an RFD who would send the entire pistol to the gunsmith with everyone taking a bite from the cherry to make a £44 part considerably more expensive. The one 'gunsmith' I tried approaching is more of an airgun repairer and so was of no help.

I suppose the 'easy' route would be to apply for a variation at £20 and then four months later I could sort it myself by just driving up to Krank's and buying one. But that's not really that convenient.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
MistAgain

Re: Replacement Pietta cylinder required - what's the proced

#2 Post by MistAgain »

Getting it repaired by your local gunsmith is the best option .

Especially if the cylinder needs to be proofed when its fitted .
Dark Skies

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

MistAgain wrote:Getting it repaired by your local gunsmith is the best option .

Especially if the cylinder needs to be proofed when its fitted .
It really just needs a straight swap. The dings and dents are just cosmetic - they mar the look of the rest of the gun which is lovely. Otherwise it functions just fine.
It's more me being a tad perfectionist than anything. I just don't like spending money for stuff that I know I can do myself.

I have a maintenance kit of parts arriving soon - it'd be nice to have everything new and working in harmony. I've discovered I can do that myself.
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#4 Post by Robert303 »

Apply for a variation for another cylinder. Fit it and then hand the old one to an RFD for destruction.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

Is it it like barrels where an RFD can supply you an item if you hand back the faulty one?
Mail2pete

#6 Post by Mail2pete »

Yep. One for one swap. There is no serial numbers on it, so no paperwork is required.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Why not keep the disfigured cylinder for reloads, adds another bit of fun to your shooting.

Just get a variation for a spare cylinder.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

This is what I've been told by the TVP Firearms Dept. in response to an email.

"You will need to submit a variation request in the normal manner as the cylinder is a component part of a section 1 firearm. As such you need permission to acquire a new one. If you are disposing of your existing cylinder and replacing it with the new one it is classed as a ‘one for one’ and there is no fee. Otherwise the variation fee is £20.00."

One assumes to go for the one for one option I'd have to remove the cylinder, leave it with an RFD, get a letter from them saying it had been disposed off / no longer in my possession and then go through the usual variation process. Given the length of time that'd take and given the revolver is still serviceable it'd be better to go for a spare rather than a one for one and leave myself without for the next four months.

That being the case it'd make more sense to put in for spare cylinders for my BP pistols AND apply for slots for the Alpha .357 and .45 Ruger muzzle loaders I fancy. Get my money's worth.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

A variation is needed for an additional cylinder that you want to possess.

If you just wish replace your existing cylinder, order one from your RFD and pay the associated fees and such. When the new cylinder arrives, go into the shop with your revolver. Take the old cylinder out and surrender that to the dealer to do with what he sees fit, take the new cylinder and put it in your gun. Walk out of the shop...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:A variation is needed for an additional cylinder that you want to possess.

If you just wish replace your existing cylinder, order one from your RFD and pay the associated fees and such. When the new cylinder arrives, go into the shop with your revolver. Take the old cylinder out and surrender that to the dealer to do with what he sees fit, take the new cylinder and put it in your gun. Walk out of the shop...
This is essentially what I believed to be the case. Unfortunately Oxfordshire is now devoid of decent gun shops and staff of those shops that remain seem to have little knowledge outside of their limited scope. I was directed to ask of the police what the situation was. And even after doing that I ended up with conflicting advice. It does yer 'ed in. It really does.