Pietta Colt 1851 Navy - trigger / lock work quandry

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Pietta Colt 1851 Navy - trigger / lock work quandry

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm a tad stumped at the moment. I seem to have a bit of a bitsa gun.

As mentioned in another thread I bought a Pietta Colt 1851 Navy recently.
After much debate it was established that the previous owner had fitted a hammer from a Uberti.
So far so good (also it transpired some or possibly most of the reciprocal Uberti parts were also fitted).

The other day I had it apart for a good clean and to remove a cap that had fallen down into the lock works.
Whilst it was still cycling and locking up OK a number of parts were on the tired side and would benefit from being replaced.

Looking on Henry Krank's website I saw the listed maintenance kit (Product Code: PSPK2) for the 1851 doesn't include a hammer so I phoned up to see about buying one in addition to the kit. Turns out that a kit with a hammer IS available - it's part number AC070 for the Red Nord navy .36/.44. It's also compatible with the 1860/1861 Army.

The kit arrived yesterday and I set about fitting it today. Or rather trying to fit it. Everything fits together fine but it's hardly crisp - it needs a fair bit of fettling. OK - I've discovered I'm quite good at fiddling with Swiss files and wet 'n' dry - so I can do that.

BUT ... the biggest problem seems to lie with the trigger. When I fitted the trigger guard to see how everything was shaping up I discovered the trigger was way too long. It actually jammed up on the bottom of the finger guard. I had to remove at least an eighth of an inch off the bottom in order to fit the guard. And then I had to trim a little bit more off just to get a clear arc when squeezing it back. Not only that but the trigger doesn't mimic the curve of the guard like the original did.
Something not right there!

To be frank I ought to have quit as soon as I saw the guard wouldn't fit rather than mod the trigger but ... I figured that'd be my only obstacle. WRONG.

The trigger is tight up the left hand side as it passed through the guard - so it drags. I thought I'd polish the side of the trigger a tad to free it up but at that point I decided that this can't be a normal thing to have to fettle. The lock work sure ... maybe clean it up a tad, polish off burrs etc. but not basic clearance dimensions on the frame parts.

So then I had good look at the trigger guard and something seems not quite right. There's a number on the front strap (#A1910) - it's stamped like a serial number but it isn't the that of my pistol. So now I'm wondering if the trigger guard is perhaps off a Uberti Colt Navy - I've read these are slightly smaller than Piettas so this could account for the trigger not fitting properly.
Having said that the grips and rear strap appear to fit nicely together with the guard and frame in all other respects.
I'd have thought the parts would not be interchangeable between the two manufacturers.

So if that's not the issue then perhaps the problem lies with the parts kit being wrong for my gun regarding the trigger.
I would have thought that Pietta wouldn't have bothered to change the internals between the ordinary Colt Navy and the Reb Nord Navy. As far as I can see the only differences are the latter have a brass frame. Did they make the trigger guard larger? That would account for a longer trigger in the kit.

I just don't know!

For now I've put it all back as it was with the Uberti hammer - see the picture below. Notice the trigger looks proportional and mimics the curve of the trigger.

The three pictures below that show the trigger from the maintenance kit that had to be shortened to fit - it just doesn't look right and is tight to the guard.

Any ideas on my plight?

"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Dark Skies

Re: Pietta Colt 1851 Navy - trigger / lock work quandry

#2 Post by Dark Skies »

Here's the maintenance kit I've just bought (with modded trigger):

And this is the lock work / hammer mechanism that came out of the revolver (and is now back in place for the time being):
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Can't you just use the original trigger with the new internals and hammer?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

possibly related...
I know the spare trigger guard I got with my 1860 army is deeper than the trigger guard for my 1873's

Is it possible the uberti spares someone fitted were also fitted along with a smaller dimensioned trigger guard?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

dromia wrote:Can't you just use the original trigger with the new internals and hammer?
Unfortunately not. The old trigger was quite worn, or at least worn in to the other hammer. There was some slop when offered up to the new hammer.
Dark Skies

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote:possibly related...
I know the spare trigger guard I got with my 1860 army is deeper than the trigger guard for my 1873's

Is it possible the uberti spares someone fitted were also fitted along with a smaller dimensioned trigger guard?
This intrigued me.

Is the trigger from the 1873 otherwise interchangeable with the 1860?

I contacted Pietta directly with my serial number and some pictures of my dilemma.

Turns out about two years back Pietta changed the design of the 1851 with a different shaped trigger guard. They told me that they also made the trigger longer to suit.

I asked if they could let me have the older part number for the old style trigger and was told that it is no longer available. They did offer to supply me with a cut down trigger though. I wrote back with a picture of my cut down trigger fitted in the pistol along with my complaint that it rubbed the guard of the old style.

Rather cheekily I asked if they might supply me with a replacement trigger and the new style guard per gratis.

Haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm now wondering if the previous owner came across this problem and solved it by just going over to Uberti parts - from what I've read / seen online new Pietta models are slightly larger than Uberti models. I'm not 100% on that though.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

I'm not sure, I was moving my birdshead grips off my uberti 1873, as I've had to sell it. I had to shuffle bits around, as I have a spare set for the 1860, a spare set for a armi san marco 1873, and grip plus backstrap for the uberti 1873. turned into a whole thing
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns