RCBS Primer pocket swaging rod (replacement)

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

RCBS Primer pocket swaging rod (replacement)

#1 Post by Blackstuff »

Hello all,

I'm using the above tool to swage out a load of .223 brass. The tool has been borrowed from a friend and whoever used it last has bent the smaller of the two rods that come with it (I was warned beforehand - it still works it's just a bit awkward lining up the case).

Anyway, to say thank you for leading me the kit I was going to buy him a new rod but I can't find anywhere selling just the rod. Does anyone know somewhere that does?

This is the full kit:

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/rc ... er-combo-2

Cheers
DVC
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: RCBS Primer pocket swaging rod (replacement)

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Have you tried getting in touch with RCBS directly? I have seen threads by users on here who have had replacement rods/decapping pins sent to them by RCBS when they got in touch despite living in the UK.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Correct, a quick email to RCBS should see you sorted, they are usually excellent at customer service.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

Not so when I needed the balance arm for a set of their scales.
Told me to forget about it...no chance

All previous issues with their kit had been promptly sorted out.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

What is the proper way to use one of these. I have one when I use it after swaging the primer pocket I can not get the darned case of the swage bit.
I find the trimmer with a primer pocket cutter is much easier. Or may be I'm using it incorrectly.

I did a search on youtube its because I was trying to use it on a Wamadet press it only works on a conventional press. Its that long since I used it I forgot how it works. 8-)
Blackstuff

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

I just set it up as per the instructions and it worked fine once I had it bolted into the press properly. As the rod was slightly out of centre though I did find it easier to push the case onto the rod then raise the swager up to it.

Emails sent to RCBS and GMK fingerscrossed
DVC
bewildered
Home club or Range: Pinewood

#7 Post by bewildered »

I had the same problem with the case sticking to the nipple thing on the rod. A touch of Lee case lube on the nipple did the job.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

There should be a cap like doofur with a hole in the middle that sits on the press ram with the swaging pillar through the hole, this hits the press frame on the down stroke and pushes the case off the swaging pillar.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Blackstuff

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

The cap is there but it doesn't work properly on the Lee turret press anyway. I'd say it needs to be about 3-5mm deeper to clear the case on that press. I just put an allen key under the cap to give the extra leverage.

Didn't even think about using some case lube, d'oh!!
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#10 Post by dromia »

Works fine on all my presses including two turrets, but then none of them are Lee.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/