.22 centrefire: recommend a rifle for badger

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

.22 centrefire: recommend a rifle for badger

#1 Post by meles meles »

Oomans,

We have a pawful of .22 rimfire rifles, mostly .22LR but also an Anschutz .22 WMR too. However, now we've started pawloading, we're contemplating a .22 centrefire too. From what we have heard, they can be more accurate, have longer range and be almost as cheap to feed. There are lots of variations on the calibre: .22 Hornet and Bee, .22-250 and suchlike. What would you recommend, and why ? We have access to indoor target ranges of 25 mards and out door ranges of 100, 200, 300 and 600 mards.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: .22 centrefire: recommend a rifle for badger

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I really like the 22 Hornet, an earlier one is always good although reloading does need some care as the brass is thin walled and prone to crumpling until you are used to it. Be aware that the bullet size of the earlier and later versions are different. I would not use a 22-250 for target work as it is a bit on the rapid side and invariably not range legal for MoD sites that stipulate a maximum MV of 1000m/s, however if you are shooting overland and want to kill things very effectively it has to be the best vermin cartridge ever.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Duey
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Offas Dyke, Pickering, North Cotes Butts and Grove small arms

#3 Post by Duey »

As per ovenpaa would avoid the 22-250 for ranges unless you go with an 8 or even 7 twist barrel and use the heavy bullets 75 to 90gr that should stay under MV limits, devastating on vermin and foxes though

I would say best all round option would be a 223, plenty available in all sorts of configurations of actions and stocks and can be cheap as chips to reload for or shoot surplus ammo
Also some manufacturers supply tight twist barrels as a standard option, usually 8 twist, for 69gr to 75gr bullets for better longer ranges

Duey
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

The .223 is so passé these days, at least consider the 222 as a worthwhile alternative however I am not sure it would be ideal at 25m whereas the 22 Hornet works well from 25-200 yards. A 22-250 would probably get you kicked out of a 25m covered range in under 90 seconds as they are incredibly anti-social however if you want something that shoots flat and hits what it is pointed at out to 350 yards the 250 is the way to go.

Another plus is a 50 grain Vmax leaving the barrel at approaching 4000fps tends to kill things very effectively if needed. I cannot overstate just how effective and easy to shoo they can be. Barrel life is also a lot better than some will have you believe, just don't look too closely at the bore after 1500 rounds. We routinely see 250's with 3500-4000 rounds through the original barrel and they are still doing the job :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

22 Hornet or a .222
Sandgroper

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

Ovenpaa wrote:The .223 is so passé these days, at least consider the 222 as a worthwhile alternative however I am not sure it would be ideal at 25m whereas the 22 Hornet works well from 25-200 yards. A 22-250 would probably get you kicked out of a 25m covered range in under 90 seconds as they are incredibly anti-social however if you want something that shoots flat and hits what it is pointed at out to 350 yards the 250 is the way to go.

Another plus is a 50 grain Vmax leaving the barrel at approaching 4000fps tends to kill things very effectively if needed. I cannot overstate just how effective and easy to shoo they can be. Barrel life is also a lot better than some will have you believe, just don't look too closely at the bore after 1500 rounds. We routinely see 250's with 3500-4000 rounds through the original barrel and they are still doing the job :good:
You have your answer, Badger. Get a 22 Hornet, a 222 Rem and a 22-250 and all your bases are covered... :twisted:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#7 Post by breacher »

I vote .223
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

You can forget .22 hornet for shooting badger, DEFRA set the minimum as 1,000ft/lb and a 50 grain bullet so it looks like .222rem will be the minimum you will require.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

218" Bee, 22" Hornet, 22 Savage Hi Power (5.6 x 52R) and .222" are my favourite 22 centrefire rounds.

The 218" Bee seems to be a rare calibre over here and cases are evidently hard to get so perhaps not really an option.

The .22 Savage Hi Power is a fine round and has the benefit of being a rimmed case unlike the .222". It likes .228" bullets which are readily available from Hornady and 70gn Sellier and Bellot factory ammunition is also available. It is still a popular round in Europe.

All these calibres are also fine cast bullet shooters.

The 223" is like the .308" just oh so common and so uninteresting and just plain boring. The Hi Power and .222" will do every thing the .223" will. With their longer case necks it make them far more flexible for hand loading than the .223" especially if using cast which is the only way to go, especially for cheapness. Primer, pinch of fast pistol powder, cast bullet and once you have paid for the cases cheaper shooting than .22 RF plus the pleasure of making your own bullets and ammunition that will extract the very best accuracy from your rifle.

Cymag is the best "round" for badgers.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ah, Cymag, remember not to sniff it :)
/d

Shed Journal