Berdan Primers for 7.62x51 NATO

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
graphictart
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

Berdan Primers for 7.62x51 NATO

#1 Post by graphictart »

Good evening guys and gals.
I've got som Berdan brass in 7.62x51 and the tools to prep it back to a reloading state but I appear to be coming up short in resourcing some correct sized primers.

Anyone help me?
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

All help appreciated.
John
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Berdan Primers for 7.62x51 NATO

#2 Post by hitchphil »

Russia ..................... if you can get an import licence................ & DOSG approval to ship them.............

or break into Radway Green overnight & pinch a few hundred.............. without getting caught. 77 :run:
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#3 Post by HALODIN »

Most people just scrap berdan cases, is there any particular reason you're not scraping them as well? Boxer primed brass is a lot easier to deal with.

graphictart wrote:Good evening guys and gals.
I've got som Berdan brass in 7.62x51 and the tools to prep it back to a reloading state but I appear to be coming up short in resourcing some correct sized primers.

Anyone help me?
Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

All help appreciated.
John
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

Why bother?

I believe RWS make berdan primers and RUAG are the importers.
Or maybe ask at Fultons?
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

Berdan primers cannot be found in the same quantity as boxer primers, they are more difficult to decap and do not offer any advantage over boxer primer.

Other than for the purpose of "because I can", why would you choose to reload berdan primed brass especially in a calibre with plentiful boxer primed brass available?
rox

#6 Post by rox »

"especially in a calibre with plentiful" and cheap "boxer primed brass available?"
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

WelshShooter wrote:Berdan primers cannot be found in the same quantity as boxer primers, they are more difficult to decap and do not offer any advantage over boxer primer.

Other than for the purpose of "because I can", why would you choose to reload berdan primed brass especially in a calibre with plentiful boxer primed brass available?
Au contraire. They are easy to decap, the brass is good quality - especially the German stuff, you use 5% less powder and people throw the brass away!
Primers can be found if you try - I have a few 1000 stashed away.
What's not to like?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#8 Post by WelshShooter »

dodgyrog wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:Berdan primers cannot be found in the same quantity as boxer primers, they are more difficult to decap and do not offer any advantage over boxer primer.

Au contraire. They are easy to decap, the brass is good quality - especially the German stuff, you use 5% less powder and people throw the brass away!
Primers can be found if you try - I have a few 1000 stashed away.
What's not to like?
Good points. I have kept hold of my MEN brass only because I don't like the idea of throwing brass away, but it's hard enough to find a local gunshop by me that order magnum primers never let alone berdan primers!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

Berdan primed ammunition was/is cheaper to produce in bulk for the military as the primers don't need a seperate anvil built into them and the two flash holes/larger primer charge offered a more efficient ignition, especially in the old days when a lot of Berdan primed rounds were initially black powder rounds like the early 7.62x54r and .303 etc.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Apparently Berdan primed brass was popular with Match Rifle shooters a few years ago, not sure if this still the case. I have an original Hydro-Punch de-capper, brass and primers and do use them occasionally.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal