Berdan Primers for 7.62x51 NATO

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
rox

Re: Berdan Primers for 7.62x51 NATO

#11 Post by rox »

Ovenpaa wrote:Apparently Berdan primed brass was popular with Match Rifle shooters a few years ago
Some guys were pulling-down new RG then loading with a heavy Berger and suitable powder, then dumping the case after first firing (they were basically getting a free primed case that handled the pressure well). I know one who was actually reloading Berdan RG a while back; there was also a short run of Boxer primed RG (back in the 90s, IIRC). It was always pretty good brass. Lapua Palma brass is popular with those with deep pockets who are pushing the limits and want to reuse the case. This year I'll probably just use Boxer/LR brass that is nearing retirement (i.e. almost needing annealing after moderate loads) and give it one last fling with a heavy Berger.

graphictart
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#12 Post by graphictart »

Thanks for all the mixed replies.
Why I hear you ask?

I suppose I can't bear to scrap them.
Don't want to be someone that just turns up at the range and pulls the trigger.
I want to learn as much as I can about reloading.
I want to learn as much as I can about firearms.
It's a hobby to me and this is an avenue that I want to explore and understand.
Too many people want all the latest gear to look cool. I just want to learn.

Yes I understand that it is difficult and a pain in the ****, but whats the point on giving up at the first hurdle?
(I realise that a lot of you have been down this path but I'm just starting)

Thank you all once again for your views and helpful thoughts.
You never know..................I may just find some berdan primers................one day.

Regards
John
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

If you ate just starting it would probably be better to start eith less variables and work towards berdan priming. Get the complicated bits sorted first then move to worrying about things like primers
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#14 Post by HALODIN »

I used to save my berden brass, but one day I ditched about 200 GGG casings into the club's brass bin. They didn't go to waste, the club will make money on the scrap metal and I saved my time.
graphictart
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#15 Post by graphictart »

I already reload for
7.62x51
357/38
12g slug

That ggg is good brass to reload once the primer pocket has been swaged.

Just wanted to try something different.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#16 Post by dodgyrog »

HALODIN wrote:I used to save my berden brass, but one day I ditched about 200 GGG casings into the club's brass bin. They didn't go to waste, the club will make money on the scrap metal and I saved my time.
GGG are boxer primed - I have a few hundred tucked away
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#17 Post by HALODIN »

The first 200-400 I had were berdan primed, but the next 200 I had were boxer primed...
dodgyrog wrote:GGG are boxer primed - I have a few hundred tucked away
rox

#18 Post by rox »

graphictart wrote:That ggg is good brass to reload once the primer pocket has been swaged.
I find it to be excellent; close to Lapua in weight-spread, and good to work with. I've just finished swaging and sizing 8k for the season ahead (right arm is now like Popeye's), but I have a set of about 6k that were never crimped. The only drawbacks I see is that the primer pocket seems a little deeper than usual - primers seat to about 0.007" in, and for some reason powder residue on the outside of the neck doesn't tumble off like it does with RWS/Lapua/MEN, but those aren't show-stoppers.

snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

Rox......this may be of interest to you :good:, they will ship to the UK no problem as I enquired about their 7.62x54r kit.

http://products.russianreloads.com/part ... edium.html
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!