Sources of 303 ammunition

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Sources of 303 ammunition

#11 Post by hitchphil »

i have a stink load of PPU cases over 1400 off them............

But all the HXP are mine ... all mine ..muwahhhhhh! :run:
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#12 Post by ukrifleman »

nearly there wrote:Thanks folks.i have a die set already.do you suggest a full resize every time

Initially full length size then check the the case length and trim if necessary, the maximum length should be no longer than 2.222 , ideally, trim to 2.212.

If you intend to use the brass in the same rifle, you can get away with neck sizing for a while, but you will need to full length size again eventually to bump the case shoulders back.

The frequency of F/L sizing will depend on how hard your loads work the brass.

Whether you F/L or N/S your cases, you must check the case length every time prior to reloading and trim to length if necessary for safety's sake.

As previously posted, avoid S&B brass as it gives a very limited reload life.

PPU brass is very good, HXP is better.

ukrifleman
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

ArcofZen wrote:What's wrong with PPU at c£14 per box of 20rnds? I also keep the brass as it seems pretty good to me.
Nothing if you are only shooting 20 rounds but if like me you shoot 100 rounds plus and at least 50 rounds of two other calibers per session then you are getting into serious money for a days shooting.Multiply that by 6 shoots per month. Not so cheap after all and that does not include 25 yard indoor range shooting.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

If I had not loaded any ammunition for my 4(T) I would use S&B and shot it out to 1000 yards with acceptable results, 1200 was a bridge too far...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#15 Post by ArcofZen »

Alpha1 wrote:
ArcofZen wrote:What's wrong with PPU at c£14 per box of 20rnds? I also keep the brass as it seems pretty good to me.
Nothing if you are only shooting 20 rounds but if like me you shoot 100 rounds plus and at least 50 rounds of two other calibers per session then you are getting into serious money for a days shooting.Multiply that by 6 shoots per month. Not so cheap after all and that does not include 25 yard indoor range shooting.
I'm guessing it's a big fat 'No!' But could you go wholesale? Although your hold limit is one limiting factor. I fully intend reloading in the future. Just need to build up my brass reserves first :good:
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#16 Post by kennyc »

ArcofZen wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:
I'm guessing it's a big fat 'No!' But could you go wholesale? Although your hold limit is one limiting factor. I fully intend reloading in the future. Just need to build up my brass reserves first :good:
you need no more than 100 cases to cover most peoples reloading needs, of course more is always better, but don't feel you need 100's before you start.
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#17 Post by Maggot »

The effect various No4s can have on brass differs so you will have to suck it and see.

Full length re-sizing for mine soon kicked off seperations, but not so with neck only.

I would avoid any working that you dont need to do, but do keep them trimmed. Annealing can be a good idea as the brass is very thin and necks can split.

PPU brass and the old HXP stuff works well for me.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#18 Post by mag41uk »

As per Maggots post.
I have a late No4 Mk2 and I at first full length sized.
I had no end of separations and had to trash about 200 HXP cases.
I neck size only now and have no problems. I do have about 800 cases though!
I have tried my loaded ammo in several other 303`s and none of them got anywhere near a closed bolt.
Lee collet dies all the way for me.
Rockhopper

#19 Post by Rockhopper »

I use PPU cases and I also reload my factory PPU. I neck size only and keep my SMLE brass separate from my No4 brass. I haven't had any problems so far!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

Regarding sources of 303........which company makes it in North America?

Someone must be still supplying the Canadian Govt with factory made .303 as they have only just started to replace the No.4's that the Canadian Rangers are still issued with....so they must be getting stock of .303 from somewhere...??