Ripping necks from .303 HXP Brass while F/L resizing

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Ripping necks from .303 HXP Brass while F/L resizing

#11 Post by WelshShooter »

Dromia, you have a way with words that always makes me smile. Thank you.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

O rings do as you say but really are an unnecessary faff on especially as the OP intends to neck resize after fire forming for his gun.

I see this case head separation propensity for 303 written often, I must have shot tens of thousands of 303 rounds over the years and have never had it happen to me yet, famous last words. Where I have seen it happen has been with old poor quality military rounds and with hand loaded rounds that have seen too many firings.

HXP is usually excellent brass and I suspect that the OPs issue is a function of the expander ball and the previous brass owner miscounting somewhat.

Also have you checked the diameter of the replacement expander to make sure it is for the right calibre, either way get rid of the damned thing.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

WelshShooter wrote:Dromia, you have a way with words that always makes me smile. Thank you.
Thank you, it is just a function of striving to keep the Tourette's at bay.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

WelshShooter

#14 Post by WelshShooter »

dromia wrote:O rings do as you say but really are an unnecessary faff on especially as the OP intends to neck resize after fire forming for his gun.

I see this case head separation propensity for 303 written often, I must have shot tens of thousands of 303 rounds over the years and have never had it happen to me yet, famous last words. Where I have seen it happen has been with old poor quality military rounds and with hand loaded rounds that have seen too many firings.

HXP is usually excellent brass and I suspect that the OPs issue is a function of the expander ball and the previous brass owner miscounting somewhat.

Also have you checked the diameter of the replacement expander to make sure it is for the right calibre, either way get rid of the damned thing.
I have had case-head separation happen to me using Sellior & Bellot brass (fire formed from factory loading, neck sized twice subsequently), but it's common knowledge that S&B brass is brittle with .303. I use Privi brass which works great. I suspect you have just used good quality brass.

EDIT: I wanted to stress that my .303 loadings are nominal and are not max loadings.
dromia
Site Admin

#15 Post by dromia »

I have had good case life from S&B brass. Kynoch use or used to use S&B brass and I had a few thousand rounds of the stuff, however it is thin brass, like Winchester. I am more attentive in the annealing department with thin brass and usually anneal after first firing ad then every two or three firings afterwards as thin brass seems to work harden sooner and more.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#16 Post by ukrifleman »

For starters HXP, .303 brass is about as good as it gets for quality (PPU is nearly as good)

I will however, take issue with the Lee expander buttons in the F/L sizing die.

I load 16 calibres, all with Lee dies and have never had a problem, I use Lee case lube for all non-carbide dies both outside and in the neck.

Properly lubricated, the expander button is not an issue, I would suspect that the lube used and/or case length could be an issue here.
As previously posted, maximum case length for .303 brass is 2.222 and the ideal trim length should be around 2.212.

ukrifleman.
bnz41
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#17 Post by bnz41 »

If the head stamp is 76 then bin the lot. Once fired 76 HXP were given to me & I had separating issues with that date they went to scrap. I have reloaded HXP 75 83 85 F/L sizing them no problem all using the same Lee die set. I now neck size them.
dromia
Site Admin

#18 Post by dromia »

That is interesting I have 76 HXP brass that is as good as any other year but the OP could well have the same bad batch as you.

Lubing the inside of the case neck will ease the expander abomination somewhat and reduce the neck stretching somewhat however on the down side you then have lube in the case neck that needs removing, consistent bullet to case neck tension is crucial for consistent ammunition and lubes inside case necks won't give you that.

The M style dies can be had in in differing sizes from various sources to ensure a good consistent fit for both bullet and brass, and is a far easier step than removing the lube from the inside of the case neck.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!