Vectan AS Slug Load Data

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Grizzly

Vectan AS Slug Load Data

#1 Post by Grizzly »

I have some Vectan AS powder hanging around that I bought for shot and never used and now what to reload Lee 1oz slug.

Not sure if I can even use Vectan AS or if so what load. I have searched their website and forums on the internet, a few mentions of using AS and some recommending A1 or AO but haven't found anything I'm convinced on.

Does anyone have any load data for Vectan powders, specifically AS, and 1oz slug?

Thanks
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Vectan AS Slug Load Data

#2 Post by saddler »

If data is scarce, it may be easier to sell the powder & buy a type which is more suitable.
I use Herco &/or Unique....
Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

saddler wrote:If data is scarce, it may be easier to sell the powder & buy a type which is more suitable.
That seems like a sensible plan.

Where do you start with slug reloading? I have hulls, plastic wads and nitro cards (for shot) but no idea if they are suitable for slug. What I've read so far suggests you start with the hull then buy the appropriate wad for the hull then go from there. Are there specific wads that can only be used with certain slugs?

I've always reloaded from day 1 for centrefire but there seems more to think about with shells.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

A couple of us use AS for slug loading.
Some where between 23gn and 24gn.
These work fine to 50m.
No commercial data as most slug loads are for knocking big critters over!
Use at your risk etc.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by mr smith »

What cases and wads do you have?
Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

mag41uk wrote:A couple of us use AS for slug loading.
Some where between 23gn and 24gn.
These work fine to 50m.
No commercial data as most slug loads are for knocking big critters over!
Use at your risk etc.
Thanks. Good to hear it's possible. What wads/hulls do you use? Do you use any nitro cards for spacing?
Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

mr smith wrote:What cases and wads do you have?
Hulls are once fired Gamebore Velocity plus.
Primers are Cheddite 209
Wads are Gualandi V-Zero. Mixture of VO25's and VO23's
http://www.claygame.co.uk/12-ga-gualand ... -wads-pd60
Powder is Vectan AS
Planning to cast 1OZ Lee Slug
I also have a load of fibre wads
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#8 Post by saddler »

Grizzly wrote:
saddler wrote:If data is scarce, it may be easier to sell the powder & buy a type which is more suitable.

Where do you start with slug reloading? I have hulls, plastic wads and nitro cards (for shot) but no idea if they are suitable for slug. What I've read so far suggests you start with the hull then buy the appropriate wad for the hull then go from there. Are there specific wads that can only be used with certain slugs?

I've always reloaded from day 1 for centrefire but there seems more to think about with shells.
Got almost every shotshell loading manual in print.

I use range pick up translucent hulls.
My slugs are Lyman sabot type, 525 gr or close to.
Ideal wad is the Federal. 12S4; but keep forgetting to order them from the USA!!
(Need to get some soon & a few once fired 10-ga hulls? Way cheaper in America)

I use whatever wads I have to hand that the slugs is a tight fit in. Winchester AA & B&P Z??? are recent options.
Make sure that I only use all 70mm hulls....and that the wad/slug combo is a good fit.
Star crimp closure.
Been using them for a long time. No pressure signs & very accurate, plus cheap to make.

For my 20-ga "slugs" I'm using .585 round ball.

Not sure on my options for my 10-ga slugs...still at R&D stages.
May go round ball, may use the 12-ga Sabot with modified 10-ga wads.
bewildered
Home club or Range: Pinewood

#9 Post by bewildered »

Being a mean old bugger I cast my own 1oz Lee slugs so no charge except my time and a bit of gas.
I use new primed Fiocchi cases, 21.6g of Vectan AS, plastic wad and a plastic covering disc over the slug then roll crimp the case. I reckon it costs me about £18 per 100.
These cycle faultlessly in my Remy 1187.
I got all my load data, cases, plastic wads etc and powder from John at Folkestone Engineering Supplies. Check out his web site it contains some good stuff on slug and he's a mine of information if you talk to him.
When I started on this AS was less than £40/kg now it's more like £60. John reckons Maxam CSB5 is the same as AS in slug and is less than £40/kg so the way to go perhaps in future. Like Mag41 says though - go carefully.
Unfortunately at Bisley we cannot now use plastic wads unless the slug and wad are attached so I have also developed a Lee slug load using just fibre wads and a bit of paper round the slug (like a paper patched bullet). I think I've given details of this on FBUK in the past. I've tried this before and it shoots OK but I'm now trying to get on Butt Zero at Bisley to refine it a bit.
Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

saddler wrote:
Grizzly wrote:

Got almost every shotshell loading manual in print.

I use range pick up translucent hulls.
My slugs are Lyman sabot type, 525 gr or close to.
Ideal wad is the Federal. 12S4; but keep forgetting to order them from the USA!!
(Need to get some soon & a few once fired 10-ga hulls? Way cheaper in America)

I use whatever wads I have to hand that the slugs is a tight fit in. Winchester AA & B&P Z??? are recent options.
Make sure that I only use all 70mm hulls....and that the wad/slug combo is a good fit.
Star crimp closure.
Been using them for a long time. No pressure signs & very accurate, plus cheap to make.

For my 20-ga "slugs" I'm using .585 round ball.

Not sure on my options for my 10-ga slugs...still at R&D stages.
May go round ball, may use the 12-ga Sabot with modified 10-ga wads.
Thanks for the info.