Vectan AS Slug Load Data

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Grizzly

Re: Vectan AS Slug Load Data

#11 Post by Grizzly »

bewildered wrote:Being a mean old bugger I cast my own 1oz Lee slugs so no charge except my time and a bit of gas.
I use new primed Fiocchi cases, 21.6g of Vectan AS, plastic wad and a plastic covering disc over the slug then roll crimp the case. I reckon it costs me about £18 per 100.
These cycle faultlessly in my Remy 1187.
I got all my load data, cases, plastic wads etc and powder from John at Folkestone Engineering Supplies. Check out his web site it contains some good stuff on slug and he's a mine of information if you talk to him.
When I started on this AS was less than £40/kg now it's more like £60. John reckons Maxam CSB5 is the same as AS in slug and is less than £40/kg so the way to go perhaps in future. Like Mag41 says though - go carefully.
Unfortunately at Bisley we cannot now use plastic wads unless the slug and wad are attached so I have also developed a Lee slug load using just fibre wads and a bit of paper round the slug (like a paper patched bullet). I think I've given details of this on FBUK in the past. I've tried this before and it shoots OK but I'm now trying to get on Butt Zero at Bisley to refine it a bit.
Thanks for the info. Looking good, at least two people on here that have used AS. Good to know there's leeway to experiment with different wads etc. as I also have a load of fibre.
Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Quick question -

I cast up some 1oz Lee slugs last night and used a spent hull to dummy run the spacing to determin whether I will have the right amount of hull left to properly star crimp.

So put two nitro cards in to represent powder - compared levels to an existing Gamebore slug and Gamebore shotshell and they were the same. Obviously this doesn't mean much since the powder will be weighed and checked on final load so may change. Then I added a Gualandi V-Zero wad and the slug.

I had enough room left for a decent crimp but when chambering I noticed a bit of resistance. It still chambered but not as smoothly. With the slug sitting against the petals of the wad and the thickness of the hull the shell is a micro fraction wider than my bought Gamebore slug.

Is this expected or should it chamber like butter and my bought Gamebore slug? I notice my Gamebore slug uses a plastic wad then fibre wad against the slug so no petals and the slug is just sitting against the hull.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#13 Post by saddler »

Try a different hull/wad combo.

A sensible step is to check all the loaded shells using a case gauge.
Got mine from the US.
Failing that remove the barrel from the gun & make sure they DROP info the chamber.
Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly »

saddler wrote:Try a different hull/wad combo.

A sensible step is to check all the loaded shells using a case gauge.
Got mine from the US.
Failing that remove the barrel from the gun & make sure they DROP info the chamber.
OK thanks. Just so I have a benchmark, pre-crimp, should the slug sit firmly in the hull/wad without falling out if turned upside down? I could use my fibres instead but it will leave my slug loose until crimped.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#15 Post by bradaz11 »

is the hull recycled?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#16 Post by saddler »

bradaz11 wrote:is the hull recycled?
Hulls are once fired Gamebore Velocity plus.
...I'd take a tenner on YES

A lot of my slug loads are on third & fourth cycles of the hull.
No issues, check them all for splits & bin any suspect ones.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#17 Post by Dellboy »

could you use brass cases ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Grizzly

#18 Post by Grizzly »

saddler wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:is the hull recycled?
Hulls are once fired Gamebore Velocity plus.
...I'd take a tenner on YES

A lot of my slug loads are on third & fourth cycles of the hull.
No issues, check them all for splits & bin any suspect ones.
This one was a no. I emptied an unfired shell to size it up. Lee slug wobbles a bit without the petals and too tight with.

I'm going back to the drawing board on this one and buying a Lyman Sabot 525 mold. My Lee mould is falling apart already. Have been checking out accuracy tests on youtube and the quality of the Lyman mould is way better IMO. Much simpler design, better quality and less to go wrong

Checking out the Winchester AA's and WAA12F114/Fed 12S3/Fed 12S4

Will probably swap my powder as well.

It's a dark art this shotshell/slug reloading...
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#19 Post by Dellboy »

Lyman Sabot 525 mold who stocks them ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#20 Post by dodgyrog »

Dellboy wrote:Lyman Sabot 525 mold who stocks them ?
Hannams
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.