Federal or CCI Primers

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
bish789
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland

Federal or CCI Primers

#1 Post by bish789 »

Has anybody used both of these types of primers in large rifle and noticed any big differences between them?
I know the best way is to try them both myself, but if there are any particular experiences among the experienced reloaders on the site it may save me some pain (and money)
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Federal or CCI Primers

#2 Post by Daryll »

They're at opposite ends of the sensitivity scale... Federal are very sensitive, CCI are one of the least sensitive.

However, if you have stock springs in your gun, it should have no problems setting CCI off... and they're cheaper than Federal!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#3 Post by hitchphil »

in RWS cases Fed were an utter pain to fit very hard to press in, CCI were easy & work well grouping to 1/2 moa at 1000yds so nothing wrong with them.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
The Gun Pimp

#4 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Laurie Holland did an extensive article on the various primers and their effect on accuracy in Target Shooter magazine a year or two back.

Go to www.targetshooter.co.uk and have a search.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

We did some basic ignition testing a few years ago with the CCI BR versus the FED210M and although we were more interested in 'Do they go bang' we did gets some interesting images and high speed footage, details here:

http://shootingshed.co.uk/wp/2012/12/c- ... n-testing/

/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#6 Post by TomH »

The Gun Pimp wrote:Laurie Holland did an extensive article on the various primers and their effect on accuracy in Target Shooter magazine a year or two back.

Go to http://www.targetshooter.co.uk and have a search.
http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?paged=6&cat=58
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#7 Post by Daryll »

hitchphil wrote:in RWS cases Fed were an utter pain to fit very hard to press in, CCI were easy & work well grouping to 1/2 moa at 1000yds so nothing wrong with them.
I found the same with GGG .308 cases, and REM and CCI primers... with a quick ream to remove the primer crimp, the CCI's fitted fine using a Lee hand primer.
I ran out of CCI's and started using Rem primers and they were VERY hard to seat... virtually impossible by hand.

I ended up re-reaming the cases a couple of times before the Rem primers fitted easily.
bish789
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland

#8 Post by bish789 »

This is an interesting post for two reasons

1. Looking at the videos the Fed looks like it has possibly a faster and more pronounced reaction.
2. I've got some Federal cases and even though they aren't showing signs yet, the documented loose primer problem may have a short term fix with the Rem primers.
Food for thought?