Case trimmer recomendations

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

Case trimmer recomendations

#1 Post by spikedueller »

I'm looking for a new case trimmer, I've not had much success with the Redding 2400 and was thinking of the Lyman Universal or even the Lyman Power case trimmer.
Does anyone have any experience of the latter as it's quite a capital outlay. It says it handles up to .458 but what case sizes does it take up to, more specifically can it handle .348 Winchester and .416 Rigby?

I've looked on their website and it's no longer listed and Brownells USA are stating it as being discontinued so getting a full spec is proving challenging.

Thanks
Mike
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Case trimmer recomendations

#2 Post by saddler »

Forster?
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

I have the Forster trimmer.
It will certainly handle 348.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

I have a forster at home you can borrow to see if you like it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

L.E.Wilson. Spud reloading sells them Google it. They are a great bit of kit. I had the Lyman before I bought the Wilson trimmer. The Wilson is far superior.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#6 Post by Pete »

+1 for the Wilson

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Depends on how accurate you want you cases to be, basically trimmers like the Lyman with its universal mount and the Hornady, Lee and the like where the case is held by pressing the front of rim against a shell holder or bespoke fitting will give very consistent lengths to the front of the rim but does not take into account variations in rim thickness so with these trimmers you can get length variations depending on the variations of rim thickness in your particular batch of brass.

Trimmers like the Forster that fit the case into a collet that holds the base of the case head will give consistent overall lengths that take account of the rime thickness.

I use a Lyman motorised unit with the universal holder for the vast majority of my ammunition and the vagaries in rim thickness and consequently case length is not sufficient to really effect my loads which are trimmed to length mainly for consistent bullet retention.

However when I am loading for rifles that can give very high long range accuracy and benefit from really tight toleranced ammunition then I use my Forster, I also use the Forster for any cases that will be crimped, usually lever action rounds, as a consistent case length is crucial for a good consistent crimp.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#8 Post by spikedueller »

Thanks all for the replies and to bradaz11 for the kind offer,

I had a Forster about 20 years ago and thinking back it was pretty good, don't think it took .416 Rigby but I see they now do the larger Classic so I'll do some research.
I like the look of the Wilson but somehow I doubt they'll be doing a bushing in .43" Spanish or .318" Nitro Express, maybe I should shoot some normal calibers....

Thanks Dromia for the reply too, I must admit super accuracy isn't my end goal, so long as my .375" and .416 are shooting to minute of buffalo I'm happy enough, my main concern is being safe and ensuring the cases don't exceed maximum length and from the sounds of things the Lyman might be suitable for my everyday use especially the universal chuck with a backup of a Forster or Wilson for my 7*57.

Thanks again all

Mike
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by WelshShooter »

I really like my LE Wilson trimmer. I originally bought the bog standard version but have bought the stand, clamp and AC adapter over time. It now trims brass much quicker and very accurately too (a batch of 100 cases rarely exceeds +/-0.001" in length). The downside is that you do need to have one case holder per calibre, however, if you have multiple calibres with the same parent case (ie 6x47 and 6,5x47 lapua) then you only need one case holder. I'm not sure if they have case holders for you calibres but it is worth looking at!