Just how important are shotgun chokes?

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Just how important are shotgun chokes?

#11 Post by DaveB »

Man, you guys must see some long shots in sporting where you are! Seldom do I ever see a shot here in NZ where I feel anything tighter than 1/2 is needed.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

There has been much written in today's shotgunning that a quarter/improved cylinder (US) is all the choke needed...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#13 Post by Mattnall »

DaveB wrote:Man, you guys must see some long shots in sporting where you are! Seldom do I ever see a shot here in NZ where I feel anything tighter than 1/2 is needed.
Midi and minis from some very high towers, but you're probably correct, just like red meat most Brits will over do it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
farmer7
Home club or Range: Inverness-shire

#14 Post by farmer7 »

As TomH said its all about how your gun/choke/cartridge actually patterns rather than what the choke has stamped on it. Last summer I spent a wee while patterning my Beretta 692, the results were surprising. Given that at 35 yards full is expected to put 80% of shot inside a 30" circle at 35 yards. My patterns went thus: 3/4 88.6% , 1/2 86% , 1/4 80.4% , Skeet 55.3% and Cylinder 50.8%. Averaged over two shots of each choke.

That gives me 3 chokes all giving over Full choke patterns at 35 yards! Granted that may well change using a different cartridge, that was all shot using my Express 7 1/2 clay loads. It does show that patterning and counting pellets, although incredibly boring and tedious, can be worthwhile! Patterns were all very good and even and confirms as others have found Beretta Optima HP chokes have a tendency to shoot tighter than marked.