Re: Browning Auto 5 ventilated rib

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

mowdy

#1 Post by mowdy »

I have a A5 made in 1977 with a 28"barrel with a vented rib.
My question is how common are the vented rib barrels as I want to cut it down to make a slug gun.
I also have a spare barrel with no rib .There appears to bt a lot more of these barrels around.
So should I keep the ribbed barrel intacked and chop the other down to size?

Bob
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Re: Browning Auto 5 ventilated rib

#2 Post by saddler »

What length/choke is the plain barrel? If it's one I don't have I may have possible trades.

The vent rib are a lot less common, so I'd not be keen to chop that one if there were other options.

The "Buck Special" 24-inch rifle sighted A5 barrel was based on a plain profile, not ribbed. They also made a version for the BPS.
(Thinking along the same lines as you, but waiting for the front sight base: I already have the correct "Buck Special" rearsight assembly...but not yet decided if I should chop to 24" or just use one of the 26" barrels for a little extra sight radius)

The HOLY GRAIL A5 is the Police model.
Almost had a stock from one a while back...almost

Aside from the rifle sighted barrel part of "my A5 project", I'm considering making up an 8-shot magazine tube in due course to replicate the Police model.
For now I'll make do with a Nordic extension tube.
mowdy

#3 Post by mowdy »

Hi saddler
both my barrels are 28"
My intention is in a similar vein ti yours in building a slug gun .If I use the ribbed barrel it made fitting slug sights
a lot simpler job to do.
I am also on the look out for a extension mag tube ,
Good A5s are getting hard to find now though there is a lot of rubbish about.I was offered a load of spares for old A5 with the safety in front of the trigger guard
a few weeks ago but the straight hand stock was stock was rough so passed on it.
Bob
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

Got several spare barrels. Will dig them out later.

Not got an A5 with the "suicide" safety, as they're called by collectors.
Almost got one a while back but someone else beat me to it....
My oldest is early 50's or thereabouts.

Mag. tube extensions are easy....same thread as Remington guns...just a different length (you can fill the space with washers).
BPS/A5 extensions are still made by Nordic & Choate & a couple of other firms.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#5 Post by meles meles »

Suicide safety ?

Do elucidate...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
saddler

#6 Post by saddler »

mowdy

#7 Post by mowdy »

Saddler
The safety on the gun I was offered was different from your photo as the safety was on the very front of thea trigger guard not in it! .
your suicide switch must be even earlier than the pre 1953c. I had the chance to buy is it a very early model?
All very interesting though as every day is a school day with Mr Browning & the Auto 5 for me.

Bob