Spas 12 parts uk

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

gasman
Home club or Range: worcester norton

Re: Spas 12 parts uk

#31 Post by gasman »

i used to have one for 12 years, awful to load, you have to press and hold the slide/lifter release button whilst you put shells in the mag.
also a nightmare to strip to clean properly, the metal shroud has to be taken off the barrel every time you need to clean the gas valve/ports, and believe me, if you shoot fibre wads that will be everytime! as they soon block up with gunk, and it fails to cycle properly.
i would suggest you only use in "semi auto "mode . (too clunky in pump mode, plus the plastic fore grip scrapes the green/black coating off the metal cage/barrel shroud, and it soon looks scruffy.
the gas "o" rigs can be found in plumbers merchants /hardware shops,or Aldi/lidl box of o rings.just match existing one to them.
i got the receiver recoil buffers from the franchi importer, (GMK ), who ordered them from factory in Italy.they are made of a synthetic type rubber and harden over time then split. (start out white,turn yellow with age),then the receiver starts getting stress cracks, so never use if in poor condition.
i had to chop about 2" off the recoil spring and get the gas ports enlarged for it to cycle 28grm clay shells reliably.
i also only shot plaswads in it as kept gas ports cleaner for much longer.
mine had the lever safety, but it worked, so maybe was lucky. i rely on the "number one" safety more anyway, IE- finger out /off trigger & guard until actually firing, then clearing gun to make safe.
lovely looking piece of kit, very front end heavy, especially with 7 shells in mag,but in reality for use a disappointment in my opinion.
good luck with search for parts.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#32 Post by snayperskaya »

gasman wrote:i used to have one for 12 years, awful to load, you have to press and hold the slide/lifter release button whilst you put shells in the mag.
also a nightmare to strip to clean properly, the metal shroud has to be taken off the barrel every time you need to clean the gas valve/ports, and believe me, if you shoot fibre wads that will be everytime! as they soon block up with gunk, and it fails to cycle properly.
i would suggest you only use in "semi auto "mode . (too clunky in pump mode, plus the plastic fore grip scrapes the green/black coating off the metal cage/barrel shroud, and it soon looks scruffy.
the gas "o" rigs can be found in plumbers merchants /hardware shops,or Aldi/lidl box of o rings.just match existing one to them.
i got the receiver recoil buffers from the franchi importer, (GMK ), who ordered them from factory in Italy.they are made of a synthetic type rubber and harden over time then split. (start out white,turn yellow with age),then the receiver starts getting stress cracks, so never use if in poor condition.
i had to chop about 2" off the recoil spring and get the gas ports enlarged for it to cycle 28grm clay shells reliably.
i also only shot plaswads in it as kept gas ports cleaner for much longer.
mine had the lever safety, but it worked, so maybe was lucky. i rely on the "number one" safety more anyway, IE- finger out /off trigger & guard until actually firing, then clearing gun to make safe.
lovely looking piece of kit, very front end heavy, especially with 7 shells in mag,but in reality for use a disappointment in my opinion.
good luck with search for parts.
If it was that bad and a disappointment how come you kept it for 12 years?.As for the scuffs I personally think a scruffy looking one would look better.....a bit like tatty worn looking AKs.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Nathwraith
Home club or Range: Minsterly Ranges

#33 Post by Nathwraith »

Took the gun out for a clay shoot yesterday.

Performed flawlessly minus one duff cartridge. Definitely got a few interested (maybe scornful?!) looks.

Racked up a decent score too which was great.

Found the operation easy as pie, you just need to know your manual of arms.

Was cycling 28grm English spotter 7.5 shot no problem in semi.

Receiver buffer is in OK condition but was yellowing as mentioned above. New parts will be here soon, so in gonna hold off firing anymore until I can refresh everything.

I found field striping straight forward with a little help from YouTube. Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

To top it off the day was glorious sunny! Pic below:

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#34 Post by Dark Skies »

Back in the 1980s, when the UK was a much more free and happy place, you could buy the Spas 12 in the Grattan shopping catalogue!
How I wish we could go back to those days.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Squirrel

#35 Post by Squirrel »

I saw one of those PA8's listed as a "SPAS-12" (With no pics or info, of course) on GT and ran to the shop the next morning. I knew for 150 quid it wasn't going to be a SPAS but the PA8 turned out to have a nicer stock than the one on my SPAS so I bought it.

This particular gun has the worst trigger. Bad, bad, bad. Apparently Franchi guns have varying quality of triggers, and nothing in the unit looks worn at all, it just sucks. Shot a hundred rounds through it then vowed never to touch it again :D

I found this post as I'm looking for SPAS parts - a plastic stock would be nice.
mowdy

#36 Post by mowdy »

found this one if anyone is interested? http://www.m-b-r.co.uk/HTML/Firearms.php
Mowdy
Nathwraith
Home club or Range: Minsterly Ranges

#37 Post by Nathwraith »

mowdy wrote:found this one if anyone is interested? http://www.m-b-r.co.uk/HTML/Firearms.php
Mowdy
Yeah that's the one I bought! Didn't pay quite that much for it though!