Saiga 12 Shotgun UK - are they worth it

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Saiga 12 Shotgun UK - are they worth it

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

The only problems with Saiga's/Vepr's is the price and the way the barrel looks (IMO). Other than that, great guns.
DVC
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

#12 Post by dirtbag »

Thanks all. .410 version I am leaning towards I think.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

Depending on your FLD you may have trouble getting a .410 S1 shotgun unless you are also going to use it for pest control. If you're only using practical shooting as your 'good reason' you may run into trouble as .410's can't be used for IPSC brand practical shotgun, as it doesn't meet the required 'power factor'. Years before the MKA1919 and BR99 came out there was Safir (spelling) AR-15 like shotguns in .410 but they failed to take off as loads of FLD's knew about the power factor issue/that you can't use them for practical shotgun so wouldn't sign them off.

I don't know if non-IPSC practical shotgun permits them, would probably be best to ask on the F4i forum or with James Harris at the NRA.
DVC
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

dirtbag wrote:Thanks all. .410 version I am leaning towards I think.
.410 versions are quite scarce compared to 12g.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

Blackstuff wrote:The only problems with Saiga's/Vepr's is the price and the way the barrel looks (IMO). Other than that, great guns.
Problem is........like all Saiga and Tigr (Dragunov) shotguns and rifles the price of them here is inflated, for example a brand new Tigr is around £850 in Russia and here they are over 2k brand new.A 7.62x39 Saiga will set you back about £400 in The Motherland and a Saiga-12 shotgun is about the same.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#16 Post by poll007 »

Blackstuff wrote:Depending on your FLD you may have trouble getting a .410 S1 shotgun unless you are also going to use it for pest control. If you're only using practical shooting as your 'good reason' you may run into trouble as .410's can't be used for IPSC brand practical shotgun, as it doesn't meet the required 'power factor'. Years before the MKA1919 and BR99 came out there was Safir (spelling) AR-15 like shotguns in .410 but they failed to take off as loads of FLD's knew about the power factor issue/that you can't use them for practical shotgun so wouldn't sign them off.

I don't know if non-IPSC practical shotgun permits them, would probably be best to ask on the F4i forum or with James Harris at the NRA.
You if you planned on using it just for plinking, some departments will allow you to have it for "target shooting"
One of the members of my local club uses his .410 saiga at our indoor range and used target shooting as his reason
(But as Blackstuff said, it will depend on you FLD)