Birmingham Proof House.

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Little Phil

Birmingham Proof House.

#1 Post by Little Phil »

Any one had the fortune to take their shotgun to the Birmingham Proof House. I may/may not have to have my piece re-proofed and just wanted any info available. As I am retired I would like to take my gun down in person and wait until it is done. I have looked at the Proof house site, but can't find any info on taking a gun in, and taking it out when proofed.

Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Birmingham Proof House.

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

You can do that. Instant proof costs more and you might have to wait an hour or two.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

The Manchester Proof House would be a closer option.
Pity they closerd it!
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

ps Make an appointment before turning up!!!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Little Phil

#5 Post by Little Phil »

dodgyrog wrote:You can do that. Instant proof costs more and you might have to wait an hour or two.

Aye, much obliged for that. As the house is in the middle of Birmingham, I could spend a couple of hours with the missus looking at the delights Birmingham has to offer, then return to pick it up.

Cheers Phil*
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#6 Post by saddler »

Cadbury World beckons......
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#7 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Little Phil wrote:
dodgyrog wrote:You can do that. Instant proof costs more and you might have to wait an hour or two.

Aye, much obliged for that. As the house is in the middle of Birmingham, I could spend a couple of hours with the missus looking at the delights Birmingham has to offer, then return to pick it up.

Cheers Phil*
You could leave the wallet blotting paper at home and see if they will show you around their very interesting museum.
Grizzly

#8 Post by Grizzly »

Little Phil wrote:Any one had the fortune to take their shotgun to the Birmingham Proof House. I may/may not have to have my piece re-proofed and just wanted any info available. As I am retired I would like to take my gun down in person and wait until it is done. I have looked at the Proof house site, but can't find any info on taking a gun in, and taking it out when proofed.

Phil*
I've proofed a few rifles in person at BP. They do same day but costs more. Best to ring them for price but think I paid just over £100 for 3 rifles sameday. There are quite a few double yellows around so if you can't find a spot park your car outside their gates on the kerbside then go for a wander, they'll call you when it's ready to collect. I guess it's close to the centre but I didn't see much around other than a few greasy cafes.
Little Phil

Proof House.

#9 Post by Little Phil »

Hope I have not posted this before anywhere, but here goes, has any one "used" the proof house at Birmingham. Just wondered how long the turnaround was, days, weeks or God forbid Months.

Phil*
Grizzly

Re: Proof House.

#10 Post by Grizzly »

Little Phil wrote:Hope I have not posted this before anywhere, but here goes, has any one "used" the proof house at Birmingham. Just wondered how long the turnaround was, days, weeks or God forbid Months.

Phil*
Hope? You posted the same question under "Shotguns" on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 pm.......and had lots of replies.......which you also replied to.