Trench gun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Potter
Home club or Range: OFFAS dyke

Trench gun

#1 Post by Potter »

Hi all....I have just bought myself a pump action shotgun....on my FAC it's a Trench gun of 1927 manufacture by Winchester...nice gun in good condition for its age....however ...it has a Cutts compensator on the loud end which I'm not delighted about. Here's the question....what is the legal barrel length that can be had on a section one pump action 12 gauge shotgun? There are so many different opinions on this and I really want to get this one right if I'm going to cut or unweld the Cutts thing......question 2..... let's say I cut the barrel behind the Cutts and the barrel is now 20" would that be legal and if not could I weld a straight piece of barrel on to make it 24".... simple....I'm a good TIG Welder and could dress the weld and re blue the barrel....how does that sound? Thanks
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: Trench gun

#2 Post by Sixshot6 »

Potter wrote:Hi all....I have just bought myself a pump action shotgun....on my FAC it's a Trench gun of 1927 manufacture by Winchester...nice gun in good condition for its age....however ...it has a Cutts compensator on the loud end which I'm not delighted about. Here's the question....what is the legal barrel length that can be had on a section one pump action 12 gauge shotgun? There are so many different opinions on this and I really want to get this one right if I'm going to cut or unweld the Cutts thing......question 2..... let's say I cut the barrel behind the Cutts and the barrel is now 20" would that be legal and if not could I weld a straight piece of barrel on to make it 24".... simple....I'm a good TIG Welder and could dress the weld and re blue the barrel....how does that sound? Thanks
A section one pump action or semi auto has to have a barrel length of 24 inches and an oal of 40 inches as per the 1988 firearms amendment act. I'm not sure about legal implications of you doing this and not being a registered gunsmith. At some point you're going to be in possession of a section 5 firearm by the sounds and that is never a good position to be in.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

s4(1) and (2) Fireams Act 1968 below;

(1)Subject to this section, it is an offence to shorten the barrel of a shot gun to a length less than 24 inches.

(2)It is not an offence under subsection (1) above for a registered firearms dealer to shorten the barrel of a shot gun for the sole purpose of replacing a defective part of the barrel so as to produce a barrel not less than 24 inches in length.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Potter
Home club or Range: OFFAS dyke

#4 Post by Potter »

I will call my friendly RFD tomorrow and let him deal with it......thanks guys.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

If you want to offset the cost, sell the Cutts once it's removed.

Is it a Model 12 or an 1897? Solid frame or takedown? Any photos?
What markings?

The Bruce Cranfield book is a good reference work on the subject.