Importing Section 2 shotguns from EU

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

SPAS 15

Importing Section 2 shotguns from EU

#1 Post by SPAS 15 »

Does anybody out there have any experience or advice on how to import a section 2 shotgun from the EU to the UK? Many thanks.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: Importing Section 2 shotguns from EU

#2 Post by saddler »

Not "importing", as the UK is still in the EU it's a transfer.
SGC stands as "import certificate"

If going in person just declare at customs at time of entry.
Make sure it meets UK specs as some EU definitions are section 5 here.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Regardless of the UK being in the EU mainland Europe invariably seem to ask for a copy of your Import Certificate in order to enable them to complete their side of the paperwork for permanent export.

I base this statement purely on my own experience as I have been asked for one every time we have brought something in.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
SPAS 15

#4 Post by SPAS 15 »

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

Have a look at note A on your SGC

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs will notify the Chief Officer of Police who issued this certificate of any shotgun which is imported into Great Britain on the authority of this certificate.

Which necessarily implies that the certificate constitutes authority in the first place. The actual authority is buried in some obscure part of the import regulations - I have to work to find it every time.
SPAS 15

#6 Post by SPAS 15 »

Thank you
The Event

#7 Post by The Event »

IainWR wrote:Have a look at note A on your SGC

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs will notify the Chief Officer of Police who issued this certificate of any shotgun which is imported into Great Britain on the authority of this certificate.

Which necessarily implies that the certificate constitutes authority in the first place. The actual authority is buried in some obscure part of the import regulations - I have to work to find it every time.
Which would actually be a bit awkward these days seeing as HMRC are no longer responsible for border controls.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

No, but HMRC still have responsibility for the overall control of the import of goods, which includes firearms and other weapons under the HM Revenue and Customs Integrated Tariff document.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kamyonsofor
Home club or Range: Bedford rifle&pistol club

#9 Post by kamyonsofor »

Interesting subject as I go to Turkey quite a lot,officially not a member state and when I spoke about the prices Hatsans, Huglu's £150-200 and various guns and spares out there at my club to people full of pomp and circumstance you know the "knowalls" was told you cannot bring back in your baggage anything related with Firearms/shotguns.I said it is/was for my personal use not for resale but it was still said it would not be allowed .
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#10 Post by Andy632 »

I know at least one guy who has had a Firearm sent to his door from France! (He had authorisation to acquire)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.