Deer Hunt In the South Western U.S.

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
whoowhoop

Re: Deer Hunt In the South Western U.S.

#21 Post by whoowhoop »

A good friend of mine who manages a large fallow herd normally uses either a Golden Retriever or one of his Russell terriers. I have seen him drop a doe on the edge of a parcel of others and the terrier jump through the land rover window and run straight onto the shot deer and hang on its neck. How on earth that little dog could run flat out straight to a deer it couldn't see, even in bracken or under hollies, was amazing. If the deer ran, it made no difference to the dog. It was still straight to it which made it quicker to find in the woods.
Even when we were on foot, she would be close to and wait until the shot with the same result. Mind you she had dealt with several hundred deer over the years.

She was no slouch to ground either.

The retrievers were even better as they covered the rough ground quicker and have better nose, and the weight to deal with any problems.

Our old IS won't touch any deer if it is wounded, but will find what has been shot, normally pointing if in heavy cover although she does love a fox and used to always mouth one that was shot and used to love a bit of lamping.

I met a highland stalker once, who swore by (not at) Bedlingtons for stalking companions.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Scotsgun

#22 Post by Scotsgun »

The truth is that any dog will make a decent stalking dog given some motivation. I know a professional stalker who will use any mutt provided its at least 8yrs old. He'll take a deer foot to the dog home and pick a dog which shows an interest and is middle aged. He figures that a middle aged dogs operates at just about the same speed as him. He's had a boxer, lab, dalmation and currently works a staff.
whoowhoop wrote: How on earth that little dog could run flat out straight to a deer it couldn't see, even in bracken or under hollies, was amazing.
Usually the dog is folloing the scent of the passing bullet. I s.h.i.t. you not. There's a German study published in which they proved that the dog naturally follows the initial direction of the bullet & expended propellant until it then catches the scent of the deer. If in strong wind, it willcast downwind once it looses the bullet indicator until it catches the deer scent.
Blu

#23 Post by Blu »

I reckon I could use my chocolate lab to track a wounded deer if I had to. The number of times he's caught a scent, followed it and then disturbed a deer that was bedded down for the day or a hiding fawn, well I've lost count how many times he's done it. He's also pointed to where deer were when we have been out in the woods, his head goes up, he sniffs the air and then he'll stand and just stare at one particular spot, never moving and sure enough there will deer there.

Blu :twisted:
whoowhoop

#24 Post by whoowhoop »

Scotsgun,

it was the sheer speed at which that terrier went. I mean, the ruddy thing was on the deer before we had moved. I know most shots were under 100 yards and you could often hear the hit. Given that there could be quite a parcel of deer all moving around and the type of terrain, it is some feat. Definitely not relying on scent alone, and unlike my IS, not able to look toward where the rifle was pointed before the shot.
Probably a combination of senses as well as experience. Hearing the shot, scenting deer and blood, hearing the deer thrash about, as well as scenting variants in the conditions - air displacement/ powder etc as you mentioned.
Certainly made for some memorable days.
Interesting study though.Do you have a reference for it?
We are streets behind the continentals in understanding dogwork. I have always been very interested in scent , and as Jorrocks said " There's nowt so queer as scent. 'Scept a woman!"
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
Scotsgun

#25 Post by Scotsgun »

whoowhoop wrote:
Interesting study though.Do you have a reference for it?
"
I'll have a dig through my mags. It was a german stalking mag.