European Bow Hunting Trips

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
ordnance

Re: European Bow Hunting Trips

#11 Post by ordnance »

After spending my teens and a good part of my twenties bowhunting in Australia - I'd have to say anything that encourages bowhunting is a good thing. However, having to prove myself is not something that fills me with enthusiasm and not something I'd do unless I had no other choice.
My personal opinion is that bow hunting is inhumane. Few are good enough with a bow to regularly hit a vital area.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

ordnance wrote:
After spending my teens and a good part of my twenties bowhunting in Australia - I'd have to say anything that encourages bowhunting is a good thing. However, having to prove myself is not something that fills me with enthusiasm and not something I'd do unless I had no other choice.
My personal opinion is that bow hunting is inhumane. Few are good enough with a bow to regularly hit a vital area.
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but what do you base it on? A good hunter will only take the shot if they certain of it, but bad shots occur, whether it's a bow or a rifle. You could equally argue that using a shotgun is just as inhumane because you are shooting a moving target and relying on the spread of shot to hit a vital spot - something that requires just as much skill or practice.

I've known excellent target archers, who by their own admission could not bow hunt because that's not what they are good at. Aiming at an animal was something they couldn't do. My archery style is not suited to target shooting because I cannot hold my aim at the Gold. :cool2: Aiming at an animal is different - I could hit the vital zone of the animals I hunted, the vast majority of the time - I admit that I'm not perfect - but nobody is.

I practised for hours before I was ready to bow hunt - not just my archery, but my field craft as well - and continued to work on them whenever I wasn't hunting and would do so again if I took it up again. However, if I was offered the chance to bowhunt again, then I would have to decline because of an shoulder injury prevents me from using the appropriately weighted bows for the task - it wouldn't be fair on the animals.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
$harp$hooter
Home club or Range: Bury Rifle Club

#13 Post by $harp$hooter »

ordnance wrote:
And this is why only licensed individuals can bow hunt in any country where it is legal. You MUST be able to pass the shooting proficiency which to give you an idea consists of the following:

"The testuses the 6 inch target circle that is the IBEP norm (5 targets at unknown hunting ranges). Students must also shoot a 3-D (3-dimensional foam animal target) from a tree stand and from a ground blind. They must also negotiate a 'Hunting Trail' consisting of 7 or 8 3-Ds at hunting and non-hunting ranges, placed at shoot or no-shoot angles, effectively an ethics test in which they must choose whether or not to take the shot."

And here's the link for reference:

http://bowhuntscotland.elrig.net/ibep.html
"Life - It is what it is"
Sandgroper

#14 Post by Sandgroper »

$harp$hooter wrote:
And this is why only licensed individuals can bow hunt in any country where it is legal. You MUST be able to pass the shooting proficiency which to give you an idea consists of the following:

"The testuses the 6 inch target circle that is the IBEP norm (5 targets at unknown hunting ranges). Students must also shoot a 3-D (3-dimensional foam animal target) from a tree stand and from a ground blind. They must also negotiate a 'Hunting Trail' consisting of 7 or 8 3-Ds at hunting and non-hunting ranges, placed at shoot or no-shoot angles, effectively an ethics test in which they must choose whether or not to take the shot."
Um...not in Australia and AFAIK NZ.

And what if you don't consider bowhunting from a treestand or hide ethical?

$harp$hooter
Home club or Range: Bury Rifle Club

#15 Post by $harp$hooter »

Sandgroper wrote:
$harp$hooter wrote:

Then that's their opinion. Just like some would consider hunting from a blind with a shotgun unethical. I for one want to hunt, can hunt and have provided information to those wanting to legally bow hunt about the processes involved.
"Life - It is what it is"
Sandgroper

#16 Post by Sandgroper »

$harp$hooter wrote:
Sandgroper wrote:
$harp$hooter wrote:

Then that's their opinion. Just like some would consider hunting from a blind with a shotgun unethical. I for one want to hunt, can hunt and have provided information to those wanting to legally bow hunt about the processes involved.
I'm not having a go at you - I was just commenting on the fact that the BBHA espouses the idea of 'fair chase' and states on it's home page
When a hunter spots his quarry from a distance and lines up the crosshairs of his rifle scope, his hunt is already drawing to a close. For a Bowhunter it is merely the beginning of a journey. As a Bowhunter you will continue to stalk through terrain of your quarry's own choosing, using hard-earned skill, knowledge and determination in an attempt to outwit your quarry and to approach within 20-30 yards before delivering a silent clean shot...

...This is humane fair-chase hunting, this is ethical hunting, this is Bowhunting...
yet has a proficiency test that has elements which are, to me, contrary to the ethos of a fair chase.

I did not (and would not) use a tree stand or hide when I hunted with a bow, because I considered that it violated the rules of 'fair chase' and as such it was unethical.

Whatever the case, if you have the opportunity to hunt with a bow (however you choose to do it), then more power to you - enjoy. :good:

Combo

#17 Post by Combo »

I believe a well placed arrow resultgs in a more humane kill than a Bullet.

You putting a 35mm projectile, with a weight of circa 500 grains through the vitals. resulting in the animal bleeding out much faster than with a bullet.

The other advantage to the hunter is that there is no meat damage.

The critical issue is the ethics of the hunter. Only shots that are within the hunters ability should be taken.
Blu

#18 Post by Blu »

Sandgroper,
Nor in the US or Canada.

Blu :twisted:
Sandgroper

#19 Post by Sandgroper »

Blu wrote:Sandgroper,
Nor in the US or Canada.

Blu :twisted:
I thought so, but wasn't 100% sure. Cheers. :good:

ordnance

#20 Post by ordnance »

I believe a well placed arrow resultgs in a more humane kill than a Bullet.

You putting a 35mm projectile, with a weight of circa 500 grains through the vitals. resulting in the animal bleeding out much faster than with a bullet.
I will have to disagree a high velocity rifle bullet will do a lot more damage and kill quicker that a arrow.