This might sound odd...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: This might sound odd...

#11 Post by Sandgroper »

froggy wrote:Salut,

Since those pythons have no natural predators to check their domination of Florida eco-sythem, you would indeed to a massive favour to the local bio-diversity by blasting them away .

So ... go for it mean-boy ... :good:
but one word of advice, those snake-skin loafers are best left for 70's pimps from afro-american extraction ...
Not quite, the 'gaters give the pythons a run for their money. The problem is they are both apex predators competing for the same food and someone will lose.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#12 Post by froggy »

Re-

Pfletch83, our own resident snake terminator could probably tell us more about it but from a recent TV program, the python was getting slowly the upper hand and there are now concerns about the very survival of the local gators in the long run ... I seem to remember it was down to a combination of scoffing the gators eggs and competing a little higher in the food chain. My wife is on the crocs' side since they make nicer handbags .
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Dougan

#13 Post by Dougan »

Saw a program about hunters in the Everglades - They were going out mainly at night to shoot alligators (licenced to take a few) and to catch bull frogs; which they were literally jumping out of the boat into the water to grab them! - They then took them back to quite a sophisticated camp kitchen, where the frogs were dispatched and deep-fried.....would quite like to try something like that...

Pfletch - how about going after the pythons by hand (with someone with a gun/knife as back-up)...now that would be exciting!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#14 Post by froggy »

re-

how about going after the pythons by hand ... now that would be exciting
Now Dougan ... I know full well you have your eyes on our friend's M&P 15-22, me too, but that is clearly bellow the belt . Sir, you are a rotter kukkuk
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Pfletch83

#15 Post by Pfletch83 »

Dougan wrote:Saw a program about hunters in the Everglades - They were going out mainly at night to shoot alligators (licenced to take a few) and to catch bull frogs; which they were literally jumping out of the boat into the water to grab them! - They then took them back to quite a sophisticated camp kitchen, where the frogs were dispatched and deep-fried.....would quite like to try something like that...

Pfletch - how about going after the pythons by hand (with someone with a gun/knife as back-up)...now that would be exciting!

Nah thanks, I'll leave that to the Steve Irwin wannabe's and the snake lovers....The snake has it's strengths I have mine, it has fast reflexes, I have fast reflexes, it's just one big bunch of muscle, I'm rather portly, it has the habitat as an advantage, I have a pump shotgun....I think it evens out pretty well.

And I don't like the idea of coils being wrapped around me...though I could use the skin for a good belt or two, maybe a new sling or three for my AR's and shotguns.
Dougan

#16 Post by Dougan »

Pfletch83 wrote:
Dougan wrote:Saw a program about hunters in the Everglades - They were going out mainly at night to shoot alligators (licenced to take a few) and to catch bull frogs; which they were literally jumping out of the boat into the water to grab them! - They then took them back to quite a sophisticated camp kitchen, where the frogs were dispatched and deep-fried.....would quite like to try something like that...

Nah thanks, I'll leave that to the Steve Irwin wannabe's and the snake lovers....The snake has it's strengths I have mine, it has fast reflexes, I have fast reflexes, it's just one big bunch of muscle, I'm rather portly, it has the habitat as an advantage, I have a pump shotgun....I think it evens out pretty well.

And I don't like the idea of coils being wrapped around me...though I could use the skin for a good belt or two, maybe a new sling or three for my AR's and shotguns.
However you want to do it, it sounds like it'll be a good trip...

...some other films to see before you go...'Anaconda' and 'Lake Placid' razz
Pfletch83

#17 Post by Pfletch83 »

Well one thing is for sure, you don't have to worry about me doing something this stupid....https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... gKzOClbW2M
biggun1

#18 Post by biggun1 »

I think it makes a refreshing change that some one who enjoys shooting things says he enjoys shooting things! Good for you.

Although I have a particular dislike of snakes - so that might have something to do with my enthusiasm.
Dougan

#19 Post by Dougan »

biggun1 wrote:I think it makes a refreshing change that some one who enjoys shooting things says he enjoys shooting things
I had ignored that part of the OP (please don't take offence Pfletch) as the rest of it sounds to have the makings of a great trip - Personally I couldn't go on a hunting trip where the objective was just to kill as many animals as possible ( even though in this case it could be justified on environmental grounds).....but I'd quite happily go looking for a gert-big'un to bring back for a BBQ...
Pfletch83

#20 Post by Pfletch83 »

Dougan wrote:
biggun1 wrote:I think it makes a refreshing change that some one who enjoys shooting things says he enjoys shooting things
I had ignored that part of the OP (please don't take offence Pfletch) as the rest of it sounds to have the makings of a great trip - Personally I couldn't go on a hunting trip where the objective was just to kill as many animals as possible ( even though in this case it could be justified on environmental grounds).....but I'd quite happily go looking for a gert-big'un to bring back for a BBQ...
I don't really think that hunting should be about killing a large number of a given species (except in the case of invasive non-native species like python and hogs)

But really I wouldn't try eating the meat from one of those things, full of mercury.

Now native Timber Rattler on the other hand...good stuff (My pappy was always a good hand at cleaning and cooking them) he would roll them in seasoned flour and pan fry 'em...better than chicken or a pork chop.

I tell ya' folks if you took a piece of it and set on top of your head your tongue would beat your brains out trying to get at it.