One from the 19th May 2008

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
The Deer Hunter

One from the 19th May 2008

#1 Post by The Deer Hunter »

After a rather fraught day I decided to take my trusty .243 out for a walk and just have a look about, and if I was lucky I would get on to a Roe Buck.
I arrived at the fields and parked up, less than a couple of miles from home so it was a relaxed evening. I set off up the first hedge row and had just started to get into "stalk" mode when out of the wheat a bloody deer legged it. :o I put my binocolours up and sure enough it was a Buck, where would he go? As he dissapeared over the rise in the field he could only go to the wood and I quietly set off after him just hoping that he had stopped in the field, otherwise the stalk would be over before it had begun.
I slowly made my way over the rise and there he was, right at the edge of the wood, he was about 120 yards away but making his was down the edge of the woods. I stopped and as I did so he casualy entered the woods and melted away into the darkness.
I decided to wait and see if he would come out again, I settled down and had a smoke, the wind was in my face and gently blowing my scent (and the cigs sent) away from the woods and back towards the road, perfect. I waited for about 10 minutes or so and then as I was looking round with the bins in the field behind me I saw a set of ears and a pair of antlers over the wheat. Another Buck was on the move, I made a decision to try and stalk this one but it would be very difficult as there was little to no cover and I was going to be siloueted against the skyline as I approached him. I set off and very very slowly made my way towards him, nothing, I continued and arrived at the wood, still nothing, he might have moved into the next field, if so I had a good chance. :) As I rounded the last contour I could see that he had gone, there is only 1 bush between me and the next hedgerow now, so thats stalk over, just as I thought this who should step out from behind the bush but Mr Roe and his Doe! :D I don't know who was the most surprised, them or me, I froze on the spot, they froze on the spot too! We all stood there looking at each other for what seemed like an eternity, maybe it was 10 seconds, maybe 30 seconds, I honestly dont know.. :P I very slowly started to lift the rifle and as I did so they turned and ran back behind the bush. Well done Mr and Mrs Roe . From there they had safe passage into the woods. To be honest, I did'nt care, it was nice to see them, it would have been nice to have taken a shot but what the heck, they will be there later this week.
I returned to the van and in the setting sun I looked around me, in front of me I had two fields of brilliant yellow rape, behind me several wheat fields boarded by a wood and to my right the North Sea, life could be worse I thought, I could live in the middle of Birmingham! :lol:
Robin128

Re: One from the 19th May 2008

#2 Post by Robin128 »

Nice one...more of the same please.

:)
Christel
Site Admin

Re: One from the 19th May 2008

#3 Post by Christel »

I enjoyed reading that, thank you Deer Hunter.

We have an amazing nature around us and we better make sure we protect it as much as we can.
Build on brown belts please!

8-)