I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
bigfathairybiker

I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

#1 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Not take care of as in the sense of looking after a cat, but as in a Mafia film.

I'll be using a 12ft/lb air rifle as I havent got a shotty yet and I dont think the neighbours would be best pleased.

I have the right bait ( bag of mixed nuts and raisins. )

But, is it just a case of placing it on the ground, retreating to around 20-30 yards and waiting?

Is there a right time of day?
Is there a best place to put the bait? ( next to a walnut tree? )

Mark

Not posted with Treerattalk.
Blu

Re: I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

#2 Post by Blu »

Peanuts in the shell/husk will do the trick at any time of the day and will bring them in, they also like peanut butter believe it or not. If there is a tree nearby that they use spread the nuts around there. I only know they like peanuts because my wife feeds them to the squirrels out front of the house.

Alternatively have you thought about live trapping them as opposed to killing and releasing them somewhere else? Just a thought.

Blu :twisted:
Polchraine

#3 Post by Polchraine »

bigfathairybiker wrote:Not take care of as in the sense of looking after a cat, but as in a Mafia film.

I'll be using a 12ft/lb air rifle as I havent got a shotty yet and I dont think the neighbours would be best pleased.
I hope you are referring to GREY squirrels and not RED.

Blu wrote:
Alternatively have you thought about live trapping them as opposed to killing and releasing them somewhere else? Just a thought.

That is illegal in the UK. Captured grey squirrels must be dispatched.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Blu

#4 Post by Blu »

That is illegal in the UK. Captured grey squirrels must be dispatched.
Every days a school day.
Chapuis

#5 Post by Chapuis »

Blu wrote:Peanuts in the shell/husk will do the trick at any time of the day and will bring them in, they also like peanut butter believe it or not. If there is a tree nearby that they use spread the nuts around there. I only know they like peanuts because my wife feeds them to the squirrels out front of the house.

In the case of greys that would be illegal in the U.K. They must be destroyed.
Blu

#6 Post by Blu »

Yeah I got it the first time it was told to me thanks

tackb

#7 Post by tackb »

I've had quite a few in my cage trap using coconut as bait
Chapuis

#8 Post by Chapuis »

Bloody horrible tree rats. The moron that introduced these from the U.S. should have been hung drawn and quartered.
Jenks

#9 Post by Jenks »

Chapuis wrote:Bloody horrible tree rats. The moron that introduced these from the U.S. should have been hung drawn and quartered.

Careful matey, there is someone on here who likes them :o Image .. ;) ...... :run: :run:

Jenks
Blu

#10 Post by Blu »

Bloody horrible tree rats. The moron that introduced these from the U.S. should have been hung drawn and quartered.
Apparently they were introduced into England for decorative purposes in the gardens of stately homes and posh estates.