I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Chuck

Re: I've been tasked to take care of two Squirrels....

#31 Post by Chuck »

And you can butt-out too razz
well!!!!!! That's nice, I try to forewarn you and that's all the thanks I get. :cry: :cry:

Plenty reds around Perth/ Fife
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Blu

#32 Post by Blu »

Well guys in this case I have to agree with the Bambi shagging tree-hugger Dougan. Now while the grey squirrel is responsible for the demise of reds in quite a big way they aren't completely responsible. In fact reds and grey can happily coexist given the right circumstances and again given the right circumstances the reds can also fight off and become immune to squirrel pox.

Actually the biggest contributor to the demise of the red squirrel in the UK has been humans. Since 1940 50% of the red squirrel habitat has disappeared at the hands of man and has never been replaced with new trees. Another fact of the matter is that the greys are there and it isn't their fault either, it was humans who introduced them to the UK and so once again humans have played a huge part in the demise of an indigenous species.

Blu :twisted:
Dougan

#33 Post by Dougan »

Chuck wrote:well!!!!!! That's nice, I try to forewarn you and that's all the thanks I get. :cry: :cry:
Arrhh, come here and let me wipe those tears away :lol:
Dougan

#34 Post by Dougan »

Blu wrote:Well guys in this case I have to agree with the Bambi shagging tree-hugger Dougan. Now while the grey squirrel is responsible for the demise of reds in quite a big way they aren't completely responsible. In fact reds and grey can happily coexist given the right circumstances and again given the right circumstances the reds can also fight off and become immune to squirrel pox.

Actually the biggest contributor to the demise of the red squirrel in the UK has been humans. Since 1940 50% of the red squirrel habitat has disappeared at the hands of man and has never been replaced with new trees. Another fact of the matter is that the greys are there and it isn't their fault either, it was humans who introduced them to the UK and so once again humans have played a huge part in the demise of an indigenous species.

Blu :twisted:
Cheers Blu,

I think we often agree when it comes to nature and wildlife matters...
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#35 Post by saddler »

Have you not thought about trapping them then releasing them somewhere else....failing that, they may enjoy a day out at the local zoo
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by Sandgroper »

Me, I'd just shoot them and eat them! http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sauted_squirrel_20328

And if there's that many then they're a nice, sustainable food source. :good:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Dougan

#37 Post by Dougan »

images.jpg
images.jpg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
Why us!? - I can think of other rodents that breed faster, are more sustainable, and have far more meat on them...
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (102.41 KiB) Viewed 3247 times
bigfathairybiker

#38 Post by bigfathairybiker »

Dougan wrote: ...it sounds like you have a lovely spot for squirrels; so I guarantee that if you remove them, others will move in to replace them, so it won't solve the walnut tree problem.
That is something I will be discussing with my Dad.
The only reason that there are squirrels there is because it is such a great place for squirrels.

What I think I will probably do is catch them before they eat the walnuts and release them over Barton range as they could do with some. :roll:

Then hopefully we will be able to harvest the nuts before another pair move in.

btw: Do squirrels find their way back or is it another pair that has moved in?

Anyway they will be left in peace this weekend as tomorrow is competition fun day at the ITSC!

Mark

Not posted with Nippletalk.
oaken
Home club or Range: Nra & Wessex Rifles

#39 Post by oaken »

Dougan wrote:
Ah, more rhetoric from the anti-squirrel brigade...

...the first link is from the Ornithological Society - They are (as you can imagine) totally biased towards birds, and see most mammals as evil - What they won't tell you, is that while squirrels are partial to a few birds eggs, they are by no means the worst offenders...many birds will destroy other nests (even within their own species) just for territorial reasons. And robins (yes the cute ikkle robin) are one of the worst, particularly when it comes to destroying blackbird eggs...

...this is the real truth; backed by scientists who understand whole ecosystems, and are not just biased/obsessed with a single species.

And the second link, to me anyway, is the peak of hypocrisy...while squirrels do damage trees, so do a lot of other animal...and none of them are even a drop in the ocean compared to what humans are doing...

...I just love the way we like to blame any other species than ourselves :roll:
Ah, the truth as Dougan sees it!
And you accuse me of rhetoric clapclap
Grey squirrels are a recently introduced ALIEN species. Yes other native species do do more damage to the songbird population and our woodlands but they are an indigenous part of our, admittedly, fecked up ecosystem.
I would rather see thrushes hopping around and healthy woodlands than be deceived by the cute fluffiness of this destructive alien species. As you point out, our own environment has enough trouble without tree rats!
Don't get me started on magpies!!!
bigfathairybiker

#40 Post by bigfathairybiker »

I could just use one of these..... :lol:

Mark

Tm90IHBvc3RlZCB3aXRoIFRhcGF0YWxrLg0K