semi autos for rabbits/vermin

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
rickus

semi autos for rabbits/vermin

#1 Post by rickus »

Hello all

I'm planning to get a ruger 10-22

would like some opinions for people that use them for hunting as to their effective range and any negatives when used for hunting.

I currently use a Suhl 150-1 in 22LR, great rifle, super accurate, but as its single shot its a bit of a pain to use when lamping. I normally only use it out to 60m (in cornwall so lots of hedges etc) so can't see the ruger being used differently.

will the 10-22 be accurate as a rabbiting gun, will it cycle HP subs, and what do people use them out to range wise?

thanks in advance
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: semi autos for rabbits/vermin

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Can't see any problem with 10/22 for rabbiting - I use a Walther G22 or a Marlin 989M2 and they do the job on the rabbits. A basic 10/22 shouldn't be any better or worse than those two rifles, IMO.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
rickus

#3 Post by rickus »

variation form being filled out to change my unused 12g slot to another .22LR.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

I use a BSA Sportsman 5 and a 15 B/As for bunny bashing, I have a couple of 10/22s as well and they are almost as good just need to keep the workings clean.

Anything out to 50 yrds is a doddle, out 80 + yrds is OK too if you know your hold over and there isn't much wind. I need a scope for anything over 50-60 yrds now. :cry:

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
rickus

#5 Post by rickus »

thats ideal your hear lots about them loosing accuracy, within 80yds fine, i'll stick to mil dot scopes now as it makes everything so much easier.
Yamavira
Home club or Range: Catterick

#6 Post by Yamavira »

Put a Volquartson 16" "carbon" barrel on my 10/22, fettled the trigger. 2-7x40 compact scope on top.
Like many hundreds of bunny bashers the combo has been very good at doing the job.
Lot of folks now putting the even shorter 12.5" barrel with no marked loss of accuracy / performance at the usual 50 to 70 yards that bunnies tend to be taken.
A tidy rifle which can be modded as much as you wish. Lots of addon bits available.

Yamavira :good:
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

Holy thread resurrection Batman! :p
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Almost three years lol
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

christel wrote:Almost three years lol
I'm nearly there though. Just need to try another new barrel, trigger group and action then I think I've cracked it. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

I would say the best semi auto for rabbits and vermin is a really small one that they can shoulder easily and get their paws on the trigger easy like :good:

Google "Peter Rabbit Tank Killer"......young Peter takes it to another level :twisted:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!