Blaser straight pull

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Blaser straight pull

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

The super fast actions are typically used in hunting competitions in Scandinavia where three aimed shots in 15-25 seconds is one of the requisites.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#12 Post by kennyc »

ovenpaa wrote:The super fast actions are typically used in hunting competitions in Scandinavia where three aimed shots in 15-25 seconds is one of the requisites.
sounds like a job for a Lee Enfield or K31 :D no need to break the bank :D
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#13 Post by dromia »

kennyc wrote:
ovenpaa wrote:The super fast actions are typically used in hunting competitions in Scandinavia where three aimed shots in 15-25 seconds is one of the requisites.
sounds like a job for a Lee Enfield or K31 :D no need to break the bank :D
Or a Ross or a Steyr M95. :D

Nothing new under the sun.

If you are up my way you could try out all those actions as I have them in my collection.

Then again there is always the underlevers Savage 1899 (been there) or the Sako FinnWolf, you could try them out too.

Fashion is all about reinventing the wheel to make it seem new to the unwary. ;)

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Scotsgun

#14 Post by Scotsgun »

ovenpaa wrote:We had a chat with a chap shooting a Blaser R8 ............ my only concern is the breech internals seemed quite fiddly and I am not sure how it would fare in wet dirty conditions.
Aye, they're expensive rifles but they're worth it. The straight-pull action is fast and slick in operation and the components are definately superior of most rifles.

As to wet and dirty conditions. They are very popular stalking rifles and i know some which are regularly used in the hills and moors of scotland. It doesn't get much more wearing on a rifle than being dragged across, dragged through the gorse and heather and regularly soaked by both rain and wet vegitation. Faults are very rare.
extendor
Home club or Range: torbay full bore

#15 Post by extendor »

Wow, this one is old but I think I can give it a new lease of life. I have a Blaser R8 Professional Success fresh out of the box. I went on a cross country pilgrimage to get it doing about eight hours driving. The first gun shop had just sold the one I wanted to check out so back in the car and on the road again going diagonally across Dorset/Somerset. In my opinion as a design engineer it is one beautifully engineered product. The decocking is absolutely safe because the spring has no tension on it so the pin cannot strike. The magazine/trigger module is innovative and very well thought out. The scope mounting is incredibly robust and tolerant of repeated fitting/removal. The aesthetics really tell you this is a product that was loved by its designer when it was being styled. Finally I should not forget to tell you how it shoots. Well apart from the fifteen through it so far to get one the card I don't have that much to say but there will be more to add as time goes on. For now this lives up to my expectations and I would not be surprised if it ended up being a keeper!
Jenks

#16 Post by Jenks »

extendor

I have a Blaser Lrs2 with match Barrels in 6.5x55se and 308win I was able to switch either of these barrel into a Blaser Offroad stock for a very accurate stalking rifle. Thinking that it's time I sold the LRS2 It hardly gets used anymore. Since I packed in stalking I seem to have lost most of my interest in 'punching holes in Paper' . Still like to shoot my 303s occasionally but I might sell them shortly. All getting a bit too expensive for me.:cry:
The scope mounting is incredibly robust and tolerant of repeated fitting/removal.

I managed to break a Blaser scope mount falling over on a slippery rock in Argyll.

Jenks
Jenks

#17 Post by Jenks »

Blaser Offroad with heavy match barrel fitted.

devil_bri

#18 Post by devil_bri »

I've recently acquired an r93 in 308 with an extra 243 barrel
I couldn't justify the extra money on the detachable mag/trigger housing r8 model
I've witnessed first hand the trigger housing drop out of an r8 when fired
extendor
Home club or Range: torbay full bore

#19 Post by extendor »

Guys, having shot the rifle and handled it a few times on the range I can say that I still remain as impressed as ever. If you don't mind me saying, robust does not mean unbreakable and a clip can fail if not properly engaged :) This is a nice rifle and one that ticks a lot of boxes for me. Maybe time will tell another story but for now I am still smiling - a lot
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#20 Post by Dellboy »

Jenks you mist give the 303 a good home hint
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.