Boar

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Robin128

Re: Boar

#11 Post by Robin128 »

Last resort the handgun...model 29 revolver not a pistol...less risk of a jam with one of those buggers wanting to rip you to bits.

Rob
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

As one African Hunter said when asked why he used a 600 Nitro express, his reply was "because I can't get anything bigger".

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

When I used to collect brass I had a case from a 'Tiger handgun' from what I can gather it was kept in the seating area on the top of the elephant that probably has a technical name. Anyway the idea was if the cat got to close as a last resort you shot it with the handgun, downside was probably a broken wrist, flip side was getting up close and personal with a deeply miffed pussy cat.

No idea what calibre it was but it was an impressive bit of brass. Maybe someone knows more about it? (where are our resident brass experts?)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#14 Post by Robin128 »

I recall one clip from Wild at Heart where the lass had a serious handgun holstered. Nothing to do with story line...methinks dangerous game nearby.

Rob
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

ovenpaa wrote:When I used to collect brass I had a case from a 'Tiger handgun' from what I can gather it was kept in the seating area on the top of the elephant that probably has a technical name. Anyway the idea was if the cat got to close as a last resort you shot it with the handgun, downside was probably a broken wrist, flip side was getting up close and personal with a deeply miffed pussy cat.

No idea what calibre it was but it was an impressive bit of brass. Maybe someone knows more about it? (where are our resident brass experts?)

Theye are also called Howdah pistols, I've come across some repros think they were 20bore and made by Pedersoli but my memory is not to be trusted.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

dromia wrote:Theye are also called Howdah pistols
AH! yes found them now, thanks for that.

I 'need' one.......
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mowdy

#17 Post by mowdy »

overpaa
Wild boar is an aquired taste in Croatia as any boar that is killed tends to be butched within a few hours and they do not believeing hanging the carcase at all.As such the flavor is what i would call slightly lacking .
When hunting in Croatia you get pig for breakfast,lunch,and supper after a while you just can not face eating it any more !!.
Fresh wild boar meat also can bung you up or give the runs which is only funny when it happens to some one else and yes your sh#t realy does smell :lol:

Bob.
Blu

#18 Post by Blu »

I've hunted a few boars over here, heaviest thing I've ever used has been the .308 and it's always been head shots. Never had one not drop dead yet. My own rule is, if I don't have a shot at the head I'm not squeezing the trigger. That's just me though.

Blu :twisted:
Scotsgun

#19 Post by Scotsgun »

I hunt boar here in the UK regularly which is mostly from highseats but much prefer my annual trip to France. We have friends there who own a large farm so we go over for a week or so. I go for the hunting with Jean Pierre and the wife heads to Paris with his wife for the shopping.

Now the French really know how to deal with boar. Essentially one group works through a forest with dogs whist the static guns position themselves strategically for where they think they'll appear. However the real entertainment is the characters and what they turn up with, to hunt with.
One old boy regularly turns up with an ex WW2 mauser and occassionally brings along a luger too. Neither are on any record and the locals (including the police) all know but ignore it because he was in the resistance. Another nutter ignores rifles and turns up each year with a bloody great hunting spear.

Over here i generally use a 308 but in France i use a Baikal combination gun which includes a 12bore and 308 barrel. I prefer the excitement of the close range slug to the longer range rifle.

Usually i like my boar hung for 7-10days and would much rather have a yearling than a tough old boar or sow.
TobyH

#20 Post by TobyH »

I met a professional hunter when I was off roading in croatia. he was taking some londoners shooting bear. I asked him what he used and he said 9.3mm (bearing in mind I didn't speak croatian and he didn't speak english!!).

Had boar in germany and absolutely loved it!
"Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down." - Dick Sharples