Boar gun

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

Re: Boar gun

#41 Post by waterford103 »

.45/70 400gr lead bullet @ 1500 fps .smash 'em flat. :goodjob: :wales: :flag6:
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Pfletch83

#42 Post by Pfletch83 »

As far as shotguns....I would go with either a double barrel coach gun (if legal) or an auto loading shotgun with a slug barrel (smoothbore or rifled) and good sights, in either 12 or 20 gauge (20 gauge would give you fast recovery time, but the 12 gives a lot of punch and a heavier slug)

My best advice is with anything you use aim for the head.

If you hit the hog right it'll drop like a bag of bricks on the first shot.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#43 Post by meles meles »

Pfletch83 wrote:
If you hit the hog right it'll drop like a bag of bricks on the first shot.

*Makes mental note never to select the first peg on a driven pig shoot*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Pfletch83

#44 Post by Pfletch83 »

I see now, a driven shoot.

I thought you were talking about going after them on your own.
Scotsgun

#45 Post by Scotsgun »

I use a Schmidt Rubin K31. Easy to reload, 30 cal cast bullets and I don't whince and worry about it when dragging it through scrub and crap.

My mate alternates between a marlin lever action in 45-70 (hard to source I believe) it has a muzzle break and a anti-recoil button pad and is intended for boar, as sold in the US. His other is an old Baikal single barrel shotgun with which he uses solid slug.
ROB22

#46 Post by ROB22 »

side by side rifle, two quick shots and its wild boar sausages for breakfast...
.......Calibre europeans like something like a 9.3 x 74r soft recoil and good on boar, bigger deer and i have some friends in Africa that use it on plains game.
...Being a Brit personally not to sure to can beat tradition with a heavy hitting .375hh (if your shoulder can take it)
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#47 Post by DW58 »

I've used the following on Boar in Germany:
  • .30-06 180gr (stalked)
  • .308 180gr (driven)
  • 7x64mm 11.2gm (driven)
  • 9.3x62mm 18.5gm (driven)
  • 9.3x74R 16.7gm (driven)
It's all a matter of where you hit 'em and how hard. By preference I'd use a controlled expansion bullet such as Nosler Partition, RWS TiG/TuG etc. The other major influence is whether or not the adrenaline is up, a calm piggy is much easier to stop than one with the steam up.

I'd have thought that .444 Marlin/.45-70 would be ideal with good bullets at close range, just as other old-timers such as 10.3x60R are quite popular.

I've also seem 7mm RemMag and .300 WinMag used to good effect with heavy bullets. All that said the venerable 8x57mmJS still has a huge following.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#48 Post by snayperskaya »

o-BIG-BIG-BOAR-.jpg
o-BIG-BIG-BOAR-.jpg (44.92 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Boys anti-tank rifle!!! :o
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dustyman

#49 Post by Dustyman »

7x64 and the longest runner I've had is about 20 -30 yds ,most don't get very far ! But as said above is about point of aim . I've seen some of the continental driven shooters and Anywhere on the body or legs is all that counts ! Not my kind of shooters I'm afraid ! But must say is not all , some very good shooter as well
243, 7mm , 22, 308 , 45, 357, 9mm, v8, 120mph, 36.26.34, Do you notice how all good things have numbers in them ?
Sandhills

#50 Post by Sandhills »

Precision under 50 feet .22 long rifle, behind the ear. Beyond that whatever your carrying that day, if you have the cojoni's to stand your ground. Adult (100-200+ lb.s) frontal shots should be with enough gun and bullet to knock it off its feet 30/06-180gr. minimal. I have a buddy that swears by the 45/70 for any size any shot. Personal best 29 hogs one morning with a .22 mag/45gr.solids at farthest 60 yards, behind the ear, all dropped where they stood and yes all meat went to charity.