long Range deer shot

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

Re: long Range deer shot

#21 Post by spud »

tackb wrote:Long or short range it's about shot placement.

thats the long and short of it
ImageImage
Blu

#22 Post by Blu »

signfunnypost

There you go we all agree. :shakeshout:

Don't fear the beast bangbang

Blu :twisted:
M99
Home club or Range: FCSA(UK)

#23 Post by M99 »

I think the one variable you are not considering is the "target" animal.

At lets say 900yds - a rabbit moves forward 6 inches whilst the round is on route (or about to be sent) - result clean miss. BUT if a Deer sized animal moved forward or turned by the same amount, the result "could" be a wounded beast. This is the primary reason why I simply do not take long range shots at deer.

Mike
tackb

#24 Post by tackb »

MiLisCer wrote:I think the one variable you are not considering is the "target" animal.

At lets say 900yds - a rabbit moves forward 6 inches whilst the round is on route (or about to be sent) - result clean miss. BUT if a Deer sized animal moved forward or turned by the same amount, the result "could" be a wounded beast. This is the primary reason why I simply do not take long range shots at deer.

Mike
a very good point well made clapclap
Blu

#25 Post by Blu »

MiLisCer, I agree and that is the reason I never go for heart/lung shots at distance, for me it's either a clean kill or I don't squeeze the trigger. On feeding deer and pronghorn antelope I was taught a wee trick by a fella out in Wyoming who had been hunting Pronghorns for years, and it works but it takes patience.

As for rabbits, well I don't hunt them so for me they don't even enter into the equation but I understand where you are coming from. Besides around here the predators do a pretty good job of keeping the rabbit numbers down.

honsu
Home club or Range: Wednesburey Marksmen

#26 Post by honsu »

http://vimeo.com/21620438 Video of the gunwerks guys how do alot of long range hunting they also have a few vids with black powder rifles.

:flag5: bangbang zzzzom
Craig&Vicki
Blu

#27 Post by Blu »

honsu, good video and thanks. As you can see it gives some idea of the terrain in Wyoming, no matter where one goes in the State there isn't much cover for sneaking up on critters be it up in the mountains or down on the prairie. Out in Wyoming it's mostly long shots.

Eric S

#28 Post by Eric S »

I limit myself to 200 yards on deer, I could hit a 4in disc at double that but there's just more things to go wrong when you start pushing the range.