long Range deer shot

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Chuck

long Range deer shot

#1 Post by Chuck »

From my mate in OZ, not him shooting

950 yards....with a .338

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuV0VuK8Vc
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Scotsgun

Re: long Range deer shot

#2 Post by Scotsgun »

An exert from an American companies promotional training DVD.

Complete crap and totally without any respect for the animal. They use 338s and above to try and compensate for the amount of wounding that results from extended ranges. A guy on the production team (no idea if he's a shooter) later came out and blab'd about the amount of shots rersulting in wounding that were edited out.
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

Scotsgun, thanks for the heads up,...surprisingly I agree with you.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking at that shot, if he had taken a leg off or a lump of flesh and the animal had gotten into cover somehow - how would they have got anywhere near the animal, more long range shots to finish it off??? .

I am not a hunter, not through choice..I am all for some bambi as you know....but I agree that this sort of thing might make some "sportsmen" think a large round..even to .50 and a big scope make up for a lack of stalking skills and a good clean closer range shot.

Like I said, I am all for bambi hunting and accurate long range shooting, i am not for practicing on live quarry in order to get the perfect shot for a promo dvd.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am also in total agreement here, even with a .338 the room for error is juts too high to take the shot unless it was an absolute necessity and doing it for sport or film leaves me cold.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#5 Post by spud »

i dontlike these long range shots on deer but i must admit to having taking what i consider long range shots on animals out to 600 yards but certainly not not larger than rabbits sized targets, working on the principle i either hit it and kill it or miss, with the calibre i was using (6.5-284) a long range hit would not wound it would be either miss or kill but on deer at this range i could not garantee that , so i personally would not do it

i have confidence in my rifle and my shooting to make a long distance shot on a small object at extended (900 yards+) ranges but on a deer where so much can easliy go wrong - no thanks

ive got no probbs with filming kill shots as you may know ive done a few but to do a long range kill like this and tout it on the net is a bit rash and sends out the wrong message about long range shooting
ImageImage
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

Agred, most of us here can I am sure place a bull or V bull at 600 - 900 yards +..I am NOT one of those who can do it first shot..and hats off to those that can....what's the secet. any????

At any rate "practising" long shots like that on live quarry like that is a NO in my book..just my tuppenceworth on it.
spud
Home club or Range: Grovesmall Arms

#7 Post by spud »

Chuck wrote:Agred, most of us here can I am sure place a bull or V bull at 600 - 900 yards +..I am NOT one of those who can do it first shot..and hats off to those that can....what's the secet. any????

At any rate "practising" long shots like that on live quarry like that is a NO in my book..just my tuppenceworth on it.
+1
ImageImage
Blu

#8 Post by Blu »

Again just found this thread and find it interesting. Okay first thing I will say about taking long range shots on deer sized targets, if you know what you are doing then it's not a problem. Spud there writes
i have confidence in my rifle and my shooting to make a long distance shot on a small object at extended (900 yards+) ranges but on a deer where so much can easily go wrong - no thanks
. Well spud if you can hit a bunny at 900 yards mate you can take down a deer at 900 yards no problem.

I've hunted antelope out West in Wyoming, they are roughly the same size as deer but around ten times more jittery hence the long range shots because they are very difficult to get close to and Wyoming is mostly open country. When hunting large animals such as deer or antelope and it's a long shot then the secret is aim for the neck or if the animal is facing you aim for just under the chin.

The reason for the neck shot is twofold, fist it's a small target so you will either hit or miss, if you hit the animal in the neck the shock will put it down, if you miss it will run off. Fair enough for the trophy hunters shooting the neck isn't much good as there is massive damage, I've never hunted for the trophy's so for me it's never been an issue. I've also taken long range shots on deer and never had a problem putting them down first shot. As I said it's doable just as long as you know what you are doing.

Blu :twisted:
tikkathreebarrels

#9 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

I'm thinking "why would you?"

Can't get closer? Wonder how the natives managed with bow and arrows?

Too much willy-waving for my liking. I suppose if you're too fat or too unfit to get out of the truck, you haven't got what it takes to be a real hunter and stalk an animal to much closer ranges. Bushcraft, that's where real skill lies.

And no, I haven't watched the vid.
Blu

#10 Post by Blu »

Tikka
I'm thinking "why would you?"
Why would you what?

Depends on the terrain where one does the hunting, places like Wyoming there is very very little cover and antelope will see you coming from a long way off. Places like West Texas along with the flat prairie States, again very little cover and deer will see you from a long way off. In such environments long shots are usually the only way to go.

I realize that in the UK long shots are probably not the way to go given the size of the country and that most of it is has people around close by but over here, well it's a whole different ball game.

Blu :twisted: