Opinions on thermal?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
Eric S

Re: Opinions on thermal?

#11 Post by Eric S »

My opinion would be fine for doing deer counts on new land but that's about it!
slate

#12 Post by slate »

saddler wrote:
whoowhoop wrote:Nothing is as good as fieldcraft, though.
...you did understand the question, didn't you??..
I certainly didn't, I clicked on this expecting to give a recommendation for merino wool underwear.... :oops:
Yorric
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer RPC

#13 Post by Yorric »

tox wrote:
saddler wrote:
whoowhoop wrote:Nothing is as good as fieldcraft, though.
...you did understand the question, didn't you??..
I certainly didn't, I clicked on this expecting to give a recommendation for merino wool underwear.... :oops:

ME TOO! :roll:
Sandhills

#14 Post by Sandhills »

Ya'll crack me up.
zeroveez

#15 Post by zeroveez »

Shooting deer after dark is illegal, mostly. However, Sporting Rifle has carried various enthusiastic reports on their use in foxing.
308, 6.5-06, 223.
I am taking my Alzheimers tablets;... when I remember.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#16 Post by Airbrush »

I can remember the first time I looked through a thermal which came off a Warrior I believe, we looked at a hill the other side of a valley say 800 yards away & it was like looking at the night sky, the rabbits it was picking up were like stars there were that many of them.

I personally think they're an awesome bit of kit if you take your night time pest control seriously.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#17 Post by bradaz11 »

if i had a mod hat on, i'd say you were asking opinions to raise your post count, to then justify access to the classifieds, but thats just me, and i'm not a moderator on this forum so my view doesn't count for anything....
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Maggot

#18 Post by Maggot »

Bit extravagant, but I could have used one back when I was squirelling. Ideal for spotting when the little sods are staying still......
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#19 Post by kennyc »

same old problem, if you use it as a sight,then you are effectively scanning the area with a potentially loaded rifle, not a safe practice to adopt! if not and using it as a viewer for,as previously suggested, Deer counts or for spotting fox's then you are lumbered with carrying another piece of (expensive) kit.
I am no expert in NV although I have used it, and I think it is magical and definitely the way forward considering the cost of good IR NV kit now, I'm not sure if thermal will have the same ground breaking impact until such time as the cost comes down.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#20 Post by Airbrush »

kennyc wrote:same old problem, if you use it as a sight,then you are effectively scanning the area with a potentially loaded rifle, not a safe practice to adopt! if not and using it as a viewer for,as previously suggested, Deer counts or for spotting fox's then you are lumbered with carrying another piece of (expensive) kit.
I am no expert in NV although I have used it, and I think it is magical and definitely the way forward considering the cost of good IR NV kit now, I'm not sure if thermal will have the same ground breaking impact until such time as the cost comes down.
Lol, try lugging that thermal imager from the Warrior about mate, luckily it was mounted to a truck at the time. wtf