Opinions on thermal?

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
dave111

Opinions on thermal?

#1 Post by dave111 »

Hi I'm just wanting people's opinions on thermal sights to use or not to use?
Dangermouse

Re: Opinions on thermal?

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

Very expensive aren't they? I would be surprised if you could justify having them in the UK for our game,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
dave111

#3 Post by dave111 »

Can be expensive,
For hunting?
whoowhoop

#4 Post by whoowhoop »

Fine for spotting/counting.
If you can justify the expense.

Nothing is as good as fieldcraft, though.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#5 Post by saddler »

whoowhoop wrote:Nothing is as good as fieldcraft, though.
...you did understand the question, didn't you??

Thermal night vision - for NIGHT TIME use - in the DARK.... kukkuk

I was never given any fieldcraft training that allowed me to see heat signatures in pitch black conditions!
whoowhoop

#6 Post by whoowhoop »

Question was understood.

Comment was regarding the need for a thermal sights in UK, as opposed to normal lamping or use of NV for pest control.
Hence the "fieldcraft" reference, which was not meant as derogatory.
Happy is he, who goes out for the amusement of himself, and not for the amazement of others
dave111

#7 Post by dave111 »

Thermal isn't night vision it's just as effective during the day.
But at night using it surely would be easier than other methods as no extra kit to carry easier to spot the animals ???
TJC
Home club or Range: Bisley

#8 Post by TJC »

dave111 wrote:Hi I'm just wanting people's opinions on thermal sights to use or not to use?
I don't understand why you are asking what we think of thermal scopes when you are on here trying to sell one for 3500 quid. Surely you know better than most of us ?
dave111

#9 Post by dave111 »

Yeah I getting rid of one, doesn't mean I can't ask people opinions on them, I have my opinion and want to know whatotherpeople think of them
dave111

#10 Post by dave111 »

And I'm selling it so I can get a different one.