mini McQueens

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

Re: mini McQueens

#71 Post by Demonic69 »

Cheap servos are cheap for a reason ;-) I've got 2 types to try, the cheap micro and a metal geared, higher torque version. The last thing you want to be doing is replacing parts mid-shoot.
Battery power is fine, I'd go for li-ion because I have loads and they're easy to get your hands on for free :-) the whole thing will run on 5v though so you can pretty much choose what you like.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#72 Post by TattooedGun »

Demonic69 wrote:Cheap servos are cheap for a reason ;-) I've got 2 types to try, the cheap micro and a metal geared, higher torque version. The last thing you want to be doing is replacing parts mid-shoot.
Battery power is fine, I'd go for li-ion because I have loads and they're easy to get your hands on for free :-) the whole thing will run on 5v though so you can pretty much choose what you like.
I only really linked to those because they were the first I could find, and for prototyping, cheap is good..! Proof of concept and whatnot...

Still, it's not like they'll have a lot of load on them, and spare parts are CHEAP! :D

So long as you use the interconnects, switching them out should be a case of unscrewing the gear at the top, unclipping the connect and carefully removing the servo, then reverse to install the new one.

All it would need is a square the right size for the servo for it to drop into and itwould be a 2 min job...

Of course, you could replace the parts for more expensive versions, but I'm not entirely sure it would be necessary... we're not talking precision engineering here, we just want enough of the picture to rotate into the hole... within 3-4 degrees of 90 should be plenty... ;) haha!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#73 Post by dromia »

What about being able to hook it up to a mains supply?

Not a fan of batteries unless there is no other option.

Personally I'd like it paraffin driven like the old televisions.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#74 Post by kennyc »

dromia wrote:What about being able to hook it up to a mains supply?

Not a fan of batteries unless there is no other option.

Personally I'd like it paraffin driven like the old televisions.
you would probably be making a rod for your own back with mains power, eg PAT testing and ensuring electrical safety each and every time its used, theres a reason battery operated tools rule on site nowadays .
Demonic69
Home club or Range: Thurnscoe Rifle Club

#75 Post by Demonic69 »

I'll give them a blast TG, if they don't strip the teeth then that's what I'll go with. Cheaper would be better but it's not like shooters are a skint lot, have you seen the cash they spend on 10/22s :-)
The design would be drop in for the servos anyways.
Mains is an option Adam, there'll be a voltage regulator built in and possibly a socket for usb or a 12v mains adapter
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#76 Post by TattooedGun »

Demonic69 wrote:I'll give them a blast TG, if they don't strip the teeth then that's what I'll go with. Cheaper would be better but it's not like shooters are a skint lot, have you seen the cash they spend on 10/22s :-)
The design would be drop in for the servos anyways.
Mains is an option Adam, there'll be a voltage regulator built in and possibly a socket for usb or a 12v mains adapter
Hell, a DC power brick could be used and not be a problem... just gotta have mains at the target end...

This is true about shooters not being skint (generally) - but I'm thinking more about the clubs, and having to buy 4, 1 for each lane makes it slightly more costly for the clubs, and less likely that the club would fork out for it...

If everyone get's these contraptions, would anyone be willing to set up a competition...? :) I'd say postal competition, but might be difficult...
kevinww

#77 Post by kevinww »

Digging up an old thread, as it seems to have died without going anywhere.

Long story short I've built a 7 window mini McQueens prototype for our club that we tested a couple of weeks ago as a proof of concept with great success and was asked if I could build another complete system for general use.

So following the comments in the thread was wondering how much interest there would be in the wider community of an affordable mini McQueens system.

A quick overview of the system is :-

1. Modular construction, any moving part can be replaced in around 20 seconds and the system can be broken down for storage in less than 2 minutes.

2. Overall size 29" Wide x 26" high x 8" deep.

3. 7 target windows with targets controlled by 4 servos

4. Quick change target boards and spindle shafts.

5. RF Remote triggering.

6. Three programs, a test mode, a 10 x 3 second exposure with 3-7 second delay for rimfire and an air mode with 8-12 second delays to allow for longer reload times on air rifle/pistol.

7. Bottom 5" of system, housing electronics protected by 3mm steel and wood baffle to stop ricochets.

8. No metal above the system box to reduce ricochets, all components exposed to target area are wood and slot together.

9. Runs on an any battery 6v - 25.2v pb, LiIon, LiPo but expected to supplied with 12v sealed battery.

10. Expected runtime on a 12v 3ah battery to be around 24 hours continuous use.

11. Plan to allow multiple systems to be chained together to share power and remote triggering.

Based on material cost and build time, approx price would be around £400-450 per unit.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#78 Post by HALODIN »

You have my ear at that price. Do you have any pictures you can share?
kevinww

#79 Post by kevinww »

I'll take a couple of the prototype and post them over the weekend.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

#80 Post by HALODIN »

thankssign