OK, now where are the instructions?

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
HALODIN
Home club or Range: Oundle Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: OK, now where are the instructions?

#21 Post by HALODIN »

It's been a while... :) Yeh I regret selling it, but the drone and my FPV plane will help fill the gap.

That looks awesome, it reminds me of the RC Pterodactyl in the film War Games. Ah yes, the big bin-bag in the sky... that's the unfortunately reality of it! At least your grandson got to see it fly.

Which drone do you have?
1066 wrote:Ahh! Not really a newbie then :) The FW 190 with retracts look the business, pity you never got it finished.

This was my last "plane" project, built about two years ago. It's a life sized Herring Gull built from scratch. I supposedly built it for my grandson, it flew very well and looked very realistic when flown from cliff in a light breeze. Unfortunately it was a bit tricky to land so ended up where most RC planes go.
HALODIN

#22 Post by HALODIN »

We bought my son one of these for Christmas, it's awesome. I'll buy one myself so we can race together. We connected it up to my headshark HD3 goggles and off we went, we're both completely hooked.

We had a failed outing on Christmas day, the bloody thing wouldn't take off, the left aileron seemed OK, but the right aileron seemed to send it left as well... After a bit of head scratching I realised there are 2 clockwise props and 2 anti-clockwise props and they have to be diagonal to one another! Bloody amateurs!

https://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/racin ... rtf-bundle
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ah yes, you do need to get that bit right, especially if you are heavy handed first time out
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

One interesting trick is palm take off and landings however you do need to mind your fingers...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
HALODIN

#25 Post by HALODIN »

We'll give it a go when we have a bit more experience under our belt, but we're taking it easy to start with. It would be demoralising to smash it up in the first week! ;)

Is there any trick to getting it to maintain a steady height? The throttle needs constant attention to maintain a constant height and given how they fly them in multi-story car parks and just above the ground, it made me wonder if there's a trick to it. I guess you could smooth it out with a gyro... Do you have any ideas?
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

That is down to the flight controller and the flight software. I use Librepilot.
/d

Shed Journal
HALODIN

#27 Post by HALODIN »

OK thanks, so does yours just sit at a steady height as you move around or does it need tweaking as you move?
Ovenpaa

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can tweak the latest flight controller to hover perfectly assuming once it is working perfectly you are not dim enough to flash it with an unstable beta and toast it to an unrecoverable state.....
/d

Shed Journal
HALODIN

#29 Post by HALODIN »

Do you mean tweaking the PID coefficient?
Ovenpaa

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

You can tweak the PiD however the latest flight controllers have superb stabilisation built in.
/d

Shed Journal