.276 Enfield Data needed

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

.276 Enfield Data needed

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Can anyone tell me anything about the .276 Enfield cartridge as tested with the Pattern 1913 rifle? There are a couple of threads on other forums but they seem to lack anything solid. My interest is more the cartridge than the rifle itself and I am looking for a chamber drawing, or a decent cartridge drawing and in an absolutely perfect world a cartridge case to work with.

Any observations or assistance will be very gratefully received.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

Re: .276 Enfield Data needed

#2 Post by saddler »

Ian Skennerton has a good book U.S ENFIELDS
Sandgroper

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

Probably already seen it, but is this of any use?
http://www.municion.org/7mm/276Enfield.htm
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

*Ponders*

We think ovenpaa is up to summat, and we have half an idea what...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Badger type, I suspect you have guessed correctly. It is a simple project really, I would like to build a P14 chambered in .276 Enfield. This would be a Pattern 1914 and wound not in any way try to look like the experimental Pattern 1913. I need a chamber drawing so I can get the reamer ground and going through the very limited information I have found it would appear I can form cases from 8X68S Magnum brass hence the separate post on them. There are a couple of posts on the webynet about this however I am not sure anyone has ever completed the job, certainly if they have the results if documented have evaded my research.

The .276 Enfield had a reputation for being spiteful and heavy on barrel life however it is effectively a true 7mm so that is to be half expected. I have found a donor Winchester P14 at a sensible price so it will be an interesting project.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dave_303

#6 Post by dave_303 »

Would a visit/call to the guys at either the Royal Armouries or the Small Arms Collection at SASC be worth your while as there are original examples around to take measurements from.
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

CH4D has .276 Enfield dies listed, I would have thought they could sort out a reamer for you or at least a diagram?
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#8 Post by meles meles »

*Wonders if such a rifle might be appropriate to the newly granted 7mm variation*
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Romeo 33 Delta
Home club or Range: Wisconsin, USA

#9 Post by Romeo 33 Delta »

Hello, All!

While I'm new to your group, I'm an old hand to British/Commonwealth firearms. By way of introduction, I'm the guy that CH4D originally made .276 Enfield dies for (as well as form dies) and using an original cartridge that came with my original P-13 rifle, Dave developed the data sheet. I did have a P-13 clone built by my gunsmith and I can report that it's a good shooter and brass reformed from 8 X 68S RWS Magnum works just fine.

You can read about it ... just google "Building a P-13 Enfield" (milsurps.com). The cartridge data sheet can be found by googling "huntingnut.com .276 Enfield Cartridge Drawing". Either the first picture shown, upper left, or scroll down to the forum posting just below.

Hope this helps "ovenpaa" and if anyone has questions, I'd be glad to impart my experience. Afterall, "Knowledge is useless unless it's shared".
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#10 Post by DW58 »

David - you have mail.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31