still in service...

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: still in service...

#131 Post by snayperskaya »

Sixshot6 wrote:
How do you tell an original russian PU from the POSP modern variants if I may ask?
A PU scope and a POSP are are completely different.The POSP scopes are based on the original PSO-1 scope which was designed for the Dragunov and usually have either an SVD or AK type integral mount (a SVD version sits lower than the AK version and has they have a different clamping arrangement due to a different side rail optic mount and the difference in eye relief, a SVD scope sits further forward on the rail.).POSP mounts are available for Mosins and there are POSP variants for Weaver type mounts available.

PU scope, mount is two piece, scope seperate from mount
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
POSP/PSO-1 type, mount integral with scope body, SVD mount
x24_L.jpg
POSP with AK mount, mount still integral with scope body
x24V_L.jpg
PU scopes have steel bodies and steel mounts and aren't filled with nitrogen (genuine ones anyway) whereas the POSP/PSO-1 scopes have magnesium alloy bodies and are nitrogen purged to prevent fogging.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#132 Post by Sixshot6 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
How do you tell an original russian PU from the POSP modern variants if I may ask?
A PU scope and a POSP are are completely different.The POSP scopes are based on the original PSO-1 scope which was designed for the Dragunov and usually have either an SVD or AK type integral mount (a SVD version sits lower than the AK version and has they have a different clamping arrangement due to a different side rail optic mount and the difference in eye relief, a SVD scope sits further forward on the rail.).POSP mounts are available for Mosins and there are POSP variants for Weaver type mounts available.

PU scope, mount is two piece, scope seperate from mount
images.jpg
POSP/PSO-1 type, mount integral with scope body, SVD mount
x24_L.jpg
POSP with AK mount, mount still integral with scope body
x24V_L.jpg
PU scopes have steel bodies and steel mounts and aren't filled with nitrogen (genuine ones anyway) whereas the POSP/PSO-1 scopes have magnesium alloy bodies and are nitrogen purged to prevent fogging.
Makes sense, I should have known, I start asking crazy stuff when I'm tired. I'm guessing you own a sniper then?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#133 Post by snayperskaya »

Two Dragunovs', a SVD and the paratrooper SVDS version.My '39 Mosin is the standard non-sniper but I wouldn't mind a nice original PU or PEM sniper in the collection.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Sixshot6

#134 Post by Sixshot6 »

snayperskaya wrote:Two Dragunovs', a SVD and the paratrooper SVDS version.My '39 Mosin is the standard non-sniper but I wouldn't mind a nice original PU or PEM sniper in the collection.
Highwood classic arms has some snipers in. He claims no more are coming due to sanctions though. Forgetting that those sanctions on arms are just on KC and not the likes of Tula or Barnaul so I guess he's playing on people's ignorance a bit.

http://www.highwoodclassicarms.co.uk/Fi ... agant1.htm

The ones he has for sale.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#135 Post by snayperskaya »

Sixshot6 wrote:
Highwood classic arms has some snipers in. He claims no more are coming due to sanctions though. Forgetting that those sanctions on arms are just on KC and not the likes of Tula or Barnaul so I guess he's playing on people's ignorance a bit.

You may find it is the Russians who aren't sending them as a result of the sanction, they may have said sod it and decided not to export them as a counter-sanction if you like.Don't forget that there are thousands of Mosins sat in Russian military storage so they may not be releasing them to the civilian market.

Sixshot6

#136 Post by Sixshot6 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:

You may find it is the Russians who aren't sending them as a result of the sanction, they may have said sod it and decided not to export them as a counter-sanction if you like.Don't forget that there are thousands of Mosins sat in Russian military storage so they may not be releasing them to the civilian market.
Not all are like that, molots still come (they were never incorporated in KC and appear to be back in the uS again even) and Barnaul and Tula still appears. You're right about that though. Did any pique your interest?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#137 Post by snayperskaya »

With the new round of sanctions the US has imposed I wouldn't be surprised at all if Russia stopped exporting anything firearms related to the US and the UK etc.There's probably a fair few Veprs (Molot) and a lot of Tula and Barnual ammo sat with wholesalers and dealers in Europe but if Russia stuck two fingers up and said you ain't having any more that would be it.......no reason they can't counter-sanction.

A couple of the Mosins look interesting, the Tula at the top is quite nice.

Sixshot6

#138 Post by Sixshot6 »

snayperskaya wrote:With the new round of sanctions the US has imposed I wouldn't be surprised at all if Russia stopped exporting anything firearms related to the US and the UK etc.There's probably a fair few Veprs (Molot) and a lot of Tula and Barnual ammo sat with wholesalers and dealers in Europe but if Russia stuck two fingers up and said you ain't having any more that would be it.......no reason they can't counter-sanction.

A couple of the Mosins look interesting, the Tula at the top is quite nice.
I think some dealers get the ammo from sellers in cz and places that seem to have warmer relations. The US molots have gone up in price due to what appears to be a limited export. Which has the understandable effect of pushing up prices (though a molot 12 bore is still cheaper in the us than the uk). Compared to saiga prices its something. Or it could be a ploy with US importers to get more money, who knows at this stage.

I thought of you when I saw the mosins.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#139 Post by froggy »

Niiice ....

Last edited by froggy on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Blu

#140 Post by Blu »

With the new round of sanctions the US has imposed I wouldn't be surprised at all if Russia stopped exporting anything firearms related to the US and the UK etc.There's probably a fair few Veprs (Molot) and a lot of Tula and Barnual ammo sat with wholesalers and dealers in Europe but if Russia stuck two fingers up and said you ain't having any more that would be it.......no reason they can't counter-sanction.

No great loss then lol lol lol :run: