What happened to German helmets after the war?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: What happened to German helmets after the war?

#11 Post by breacher »

Every day is a school day !

I always thought they were surplus WW1 but it seems that it would have been illegal for Germany to export them !

I also did not know they moved to the British Mk2 as early as 1940.

I remember as a child living on the edge of The Curragh ( Irelands version of Aldershot ) and sneaking into the remains of the internment camp. Still looked like a POW camp - even WW2 pinups to be seen on the walls.

Big piles of these helmets and piles of respirator bags - it was the fashion then to use them for schoolbags - every boy had to sneak in and pinch one !

Edit - re your "old and bold" - apparently the Vickers made helmets were inferior ( lighter poor quality steel and stress fractures common ) and it was wondered whether this was deliberate !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#12 Post by saddler »

I think a lot of German military items were seized as war reparations at the end of WW1 too. One of the most common WW2 Finnish helmets was the WW1 German M16 model. Had to get them from somewhere...and a year old country with next to zero funds behind it made do with whatever they were offered that was cheap.

Busy restoring a genuine M16 helmet. Even at 100 years old the steel is tough as anything...though it never stopped the splinter that made the damage that needed welding.
The Vickers made helmets are quite collectable now too as not as common as the German ones.

Seem to recall the Nationalist Chinese (Chiang Kia Shek) also having WW1 German pots, and maybe the Mongolians too - the latter ties in with them being dumped on countries with not a lot of funds for newer kit (though at the time the M16 was the best helmet available - just suffered from a couple of poor design features that were rectified post-WW1 - better liner/chinstrap, etc.)
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#13 Post by froggy »

That pathe film is a seriously depressing sight :oops:
Original Vickers are indeed quite rare & collectable as most have been repainted & pressed into Civil Protection service. BtW, what on earth are you doing to that poor M16 lid Ratty ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#14 Post by saddler »

Making the rusty splinter-holed M16 back into a pristine example of crafsmanship that'd make the Kaiser proud.
Actually had to borrow one last Saturday, for a couple of hours of shooting at Lebel toting blue clad wine soaked peasants. ...
My G98 said it was the happy days of his youth.

The primary use will be as part of the Finnish kit though.
May mean I have to make both an M16 liner & an M23 though.
No rush as working on a couple of Swedes first (M37's) & rebuilding some Russian WW1 spades.

The newest dachshund is asking for a x-x-small pickelhaube.....so told him Santa may grant his wish!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#15 Post by froggy »

With complimentary painted skull ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/