Uberti Henry Model 1860 in 44-40.

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Uberti Henry Model 1860 in 44-40.

#1 Post by dromia »

Having been impressed with the quality the reproductions coming from the Italian gunmaking houses during this years concentration on muzzle loading firearms and especially my experience with the Pedersoli 1859 Sharps I have been moving onto other early black powder cartridge guns this time from Uberti.

I have assembled a modest collection of early underlevers by Uberti starting with the ray-gun of its day the Model 1860 Henry. When the standard military arm of the day was the rifled percussion musket the Henry must have seemed form another planet, albeit using a rather low powered rimfire round. As they said at the time it was "the gun you loaded on Sunday and shot all week" .

The Uberti Henry is a very well made firearm with excellent fit and finish and superlatively smooth action straight from the box. This rifle has shot to point of aim with everything from low powered smokeless loads for indoor 25 yard shooting to full stoke black powder loads in the fine 44-40 cartridge. Accuracy is excellent in this rifle and the sights are good with me preferring the military style rear ladder sight that comes with this rifle to the ubiquitous buckhorn that usually gets attached to any underlever, so here is a picture of the rifle itself.

Here is a typical target shot at 80 yards off hand with my hip resting against a tree stump, The first shot was high as I hadn't checked the sight and it had moved up resetting it put the next four into the nine ring with a six o clock hold. These are BP loads, just fill the case, seat a soft cast bullet lubed with a good BP lube apply sufficient crimp to hold in place against the compression of the powder and use a large pistol magnum primer for ignition. Clean up is easy as the the cartridge seals the chamber keeping the BP fouling just in the barrel.

Yet again a big Phwoarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Uberti Henry Model 1860 in 44-40.

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have always been a fan od the .44-40 Winchester and although I am yet to own one it is in the virtual cabinet and I have a look around from time to time.

Outstanding accuracy there Dromia :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

Another good review and excellent shooting. I'd be pleased with group like that, offhand at 80 yards, with any rifle or calibre.

What sort of price are there available for?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Don't know the current price as they are all over the place on imports just now as importers adjust/take advantage of the fluctuating exchange rate. At my time of purchase it was around the £900 mark retail but the lord alone knows what it is now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#5 Post by FredB »

One big advantage of the 44-40 round is that the brass is very thin and hence does not fatigue as much when you crimp it. I am still using some brass bought in the 1980s.
Fred
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#6 Post by redcat »

1066 wrote: What sort of price are there available for?
Check out Henry Krank's website. Make sure you are sitting down when you do! :o

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Dahonis

#7 Post by Dahonis »

Looks very nice.......as did the 38-40 lol
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#8 Post by redcat »

dromia wrote: I have assembled a modest collection of early underlevers by Uberti
A man can't have too many lever action rifles. shakeshout

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.