Historic Rifle Collecting/Target Shooting FAC application

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

Re: Historic Rifle Collecting/Target Shooting FAC applicatio

#11 Post by Alberto »

Thanks again all. It sounds like maybe I can make a start by just requesting and acquiring a few themed guns and peripherals for target shooting. Then if/when I have too many for that there should be a viable start of a collection if I still want to acquire more. By that stage I will also have discussed it with the FEO. Assuming I live long enough for Essex to process the paperwork.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by IainWR »

Alberto wrote:Is there a historical service rifles society?
Historical Breechloading Small-arms Association
Gingercat
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn St Michael

#13 Post by Gingercat »

If you contact the Herts & Essex Shooting Association at Great Leighs, they quite often have historic weapon demonstrations that are frequented by friendly HBSA members, including the secretary (who lives in Essex too).

Well worth getting into collecting - I have that condition on my own FAC and personally focus on .303 calibre Enfield rifles.

Regards

Mike
Alberto
Home club or Range: VPRC

#14 Post by Alberto »

Thanks, Mike. I'll have to pay them a visit before long. They're not too far away.

I got to shoot a couple of black powder pistols and two .303 Enfields, No4 and No5, yesterday at Bisley. Lots of fun.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#15 Post by Robert303 »

Join the Historical Breechloading Small Arms Association. They cover everything you want to shoot and run competitions for the different classes of rifles. Learn the difference between Classic (pre 1918) and Veteran (pre 1945). You will of course need different rifles for these comps. ie SMLE for for Classic and a No 4 for the veteran. This way you do not have to mention Collectors, who might get the rifle but with a condition that it cannot be fired.
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#16 Post by Tommygunn »

Robert303 wrote:Join the Historical Breechloading Small Arms Association. They cover everything you want to shoot and run competitions for the different classes of rifles. Learn the difference between Classic (pre 1918) and Veteran (pre 1945). You will of course need different rifles for these comps. ie SMLE for for Classic and a No 4 for the veteran. This way you do not have to mention Collectors, who might get the rifle but with a condition that it cannot be fired.
Agree on the HBSA, but my condition allows me to shoot 'em...
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook
Gingercat
Home club or Range: Kings Lynn St Michael

#17 Post by Gingercat »

Tommygunn wrote:
Agree on the HBSA, but my condition allows me to shoot 'em...
Yes - the intention of most HBSA members is to shoot as well as collect. How else can you learn about your firearm, if you cannot ever fire it?

My FAC says " ... for the purpose of being kept or exhibited as part of a collection. The firearm may be occasionally test fired in accordance with current Home office guidance...on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm..."
Grizzly

#18 Post by Grizzly »

Ask for what you want and not what you think you might get, they can only say no. Good reason I assume will be target shooting.

They will unlikely give you multiples of the same calibre on your first FAC but no harm in asking. You might want to cover yourself by varying your milsurp calibres eg. .303, 7.92 x 57, 7.62 x 54r etc. then put a variation in later.

You will unlikely get everything you ask for on your first FAC but ask anyway. I think I asked for 9 and got 8 on my first FAC.

Seems to vary a lot from county to county. Remember reading somewhere that someone was only allowed a 22rf on their first FAC which is pretty sad.