400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: 400 Mile Round Trip to Pick Up...

#21 Post by snayperskaya »

TattooedGun wrote:
Russian-Dude... You planning on going to Minsterley anytime in the next couple of weeks and fancy watching me bruise my shoulder with it for the first time, and a sneaky pop with a British rifle instead of that Russian rubbish you use...? ;) haha
I'd be up for that mate, let me know when you are thinking of going and I'll do my best to be there, we could compare the No.5 to the SKS perhaps? :good:.

Despite my Russian leanings I have owned two Enfields.....a .303 No4 Mk1 and a Charnwood Ordnance No4 Mk2 chambered in 7.62 NATO.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#22 Post by Sim G »

Never really had a hankering for milsurp probably stems from the massive disappointment I felt as a kid. But, if I was to put one in my cabinets it's a toss-up between a K31 and a Number 5....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#23 Post by GeeRam »

bnz41 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:Nice rifle you have there Ste, you'd been after one for a while now if I remember right :good:

The painted number on the stock could be an armoury rack number, I don't know if the British did that but my Dragunov stock has one.

Yes the British did put rack numbers on the rifles, every L1A1 I was issued with had a number be it wood or plastic stock, not sure they do it now though.
I have what I presume is an armoury rack number on the butt of my No.5, but as it's 'hard stamped' into the wood, I suspect this might have been done by whoever the rifle was handed over to/sold after its time with MOD.....??

bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#24 Post by bnz41 »

I have what I presume is an armoury rack number on the butt of my No.5, but as it's 'hard stamped' into the wood,

Could that be a date stamp rather than a rack number.. just a thought...it does look like the style of date stamp seen on Australian Lithgow rifles.

Link to pictures of my old Lithgow SMLE refurb dates scroll down. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 7&t=132830

Not sure...needs more searching.
Last edited by bnz41 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by GeeRam »

bnz41 wrote:I have what I presume is an armoury rack number on the butt of my No.5, but as it's 'hard stamped' into the wood,

Could that be a date stamp rather than a rack number.. just a thought...it does look like the style of date stamp seen on Australian Lithgow rifles.
Hmmmm.......interesting.

I would guess, either a later post MOD release, acceptance into 'other' arms service date or a refurbishment date......?